200tdi 90 Turbo Trouble!

Driving home from work tonight when all of sudden,massive amounts of black smoke from the exhaust!

Pulled over very quickly and turned engine off - engine wouldnt stop -very high reving for about 5 seconds -until I managed to stall it.

I got a tow home off a friend and have begun to start stripping it down.

I have managed to get the turbo and manifold off in one.

I want to know what my best options are - and is it likely to have damaged anything else engine wise.

Sould I get this one repaired or get a new one?

I am a little dubious about second hand as I dont want it happening again.

lastly - what is likely to have caused it to go?

Hoss,

This sounds very much like my old TD when it gave up the ghost!! I had tons of smoke out the exhaust and when i pulled the keys out of the ignition & the engine carried on running! However i did then replace that old engine with a 200tdi so i can't say what damage i had done to the engine!

Someone should be along that knows a bit more soon!!

by the sounds of it, you've had a runaway diesel!! if it was only 5sec the temp MAY not of hit the 'beyond repair' moment but the turbo WILL need replacing/rebuilt. but i suspect best option is a full rebuild :( i take it look something like this, just not as bad?

after your experience, i would of needed fresh underwear! :ph34r:

and the answer to why is. http://en.wikipedia...._engine_runaway gives a detailed description of the fault and how to stop the engine in the process.

lets just hope no green right activists seen the incident :lol:!!

i hope this helps you! :)

Edited by landy-novice

Is the turbo definately the cause?

If the seals went on the turbo and dumped oil into the engine inlet then yes it could cause this but I would have expected blue smoke.

Black smoke is partialy burnt fuel and prodigious quantities the result of A LOT of fuel! Failure of the diaphram in the top of the injection pump is rare but has happened and could allow fuel into the inlet (ie over-fueling massivly). Stuck rack on pump possible but sounds like here it ran away up rather than merely got stuck at a high power setting.

Unless the cause is very certainly blown turbo seals (or else over-filling oil) then I'd check the diaphram just in case... you'd be threaders to fit a new turbo and have it happen all over again!

Stalling it in 5th is quickest method if driving, blocking intake also effective, beware however that a Safari snorkle for example needs the whole snorkle head covered else it continues to draw through the slit in the head by the jubilee clip.