exchange box

Lodds

Hi, I'm looking to purchase my first Discovery. It is 1 1967 ES TDI E300. I had a test drive last night, everything appears okay, little rust and no odd noises from either the engine or gearbox. Now my question, it was apparent during the test drive that High or Low ranges could only be engaged when the vehicle was stopped and the clutch was not engaged. Is this normal operating procedure?

Thanks

Tony

Guess you mean 1997 :)

Yes the range must be changed either with the vehicle stationary or moving very slowly (1-2mph) with the main box in neutral and preferably with the clutch down. It's normal for the engagement to be a bit notchy.

Id be happy enough as long as it does engage and not have to be wrestled with to get it into gear.

Speaking of dodgy linkages mine is back the front. (H = L and L = H). It has been like that since I had some work done on the box by a very reputable firm here in Ireland. I still don't know how they managed it but it works and I am not going near it

Hugh