eml light and loss of power

reb78

Just had the rac out to the freelander. It's a 2003 td4. We were driving on the motorway at about 80 and noticed it start to lose power. This was associated with the eml light coming on at the same time. This flickered on and off along with the power, but gradually got worse. Pulled off the motorway, and parked up-and-down it was now running very rough at idle and no power.

Called the rac and got fault code 206. I think this was actually p0206. He said injector fault cylinder 7 . Googling this brings up injector fault cylinder 6. Has anyone any ideas where to start with this?

I'm waiting for a flatbed now as he couldn't fix it. Wiring loom, faulty injector perhaps ????

Just to update this, i popped the cover on the top of the engine off to reveal the injectors and wiring. Took the wires off of each injector and as i removed the wiring to number 2, a puff of dust came out. I cleaned this up with compressed air and the light is off and engone running properly again.

I guess since 4+2=6, this may be where the fault on cylinder 6 comes from. The fault codes of this sort for the F1 run right up to cylinder 12 if you look them up so, whilst its stupid numbering, i daresay it means something. (that is unless lR made a 12 cylinder engine for the freelaqnder that i am not aware of).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, looks like i spoke too soon.

Just had a call from my girlfriend. She's been taking the freelander to work this week. Its a 60 mile drive from home to Northampton and back. Its apparently been running fine, UNTIL NOW that is!! Just got a call from her to say its playing up again. Similar, but slightly different symptoms - i'm assuming they are related....

She said - everytime she puts her foot down, it sounds like a fan comes on as soon as the 'fan noise' goes off, it loses power and chucks out lots of black smoke. She also thinks it is using fuel at an alarming rate. There are no lights on on the dash at the moment. Has anyone any ideas what to look at next (i'm not with the car, so i'm repeating what she told me on the phone).

Sounds like one of the intercooler hoses has failed, usually due to oil contamination or rubbing through on the plastic inlet manifold metal bracket. This is a common fault and will cause black smoke and the other symptoms you describe. Suggest you do a search for intercooler hose failure as many posts describe, with photo's, your problem.

Glad you found the fault, it's a good idea to replace with silicone replacements with the three hoses costing £67 on ebay. The standard hose's seem to fail on a regular basis due to the oil in the air intake problem or rubbing through on the intake bracket (make sure when you fit the new long hose that it clears the intake bracket)