One For Ashtrans..

need4speed

Started rebuilding my LT230 today. Due to excessively bad wear inside the centre diff casing i bought a 'new' centre diff from evil-bay. Now before you all take in a sharp breath, the guy had thousands of transactions with a feedback of 100%. Assured me that although it looked rusty on the outside, it was actually brand new and had just been stood in a garage for years. At £40 delivered i took a punt on it.

As soon as i got the diff i stripped it to inspect inside, and true to the sellers word, it was spanking new! Bonus!

HOWEVER.... when i offered the low range gear to the diff i noticed something wasnt quite right. Its difficult to explain (so ive included pics) but the gear itself fits over a boss on the diff unit and when home, the gear should be flush with the boss. On the old diff this is the case, but with the new diff the gear sits proud of the boss as if it isnt fully home, but when you look underneath it is fully home.

Please help!

1. Old diff without gear fitted

2. New diff without gear fitted

3. Old diff with gear fitted

4. New diff with gear fitted

See the difference in the centre where the gear fits over the locating boss?

post-4644-0-63358000-1314725017_thumb.jpg

post-4644-0-59210800-1314725043_thumb.jpg

post-4644-0-86966300-1314725060_thumb.jpg

post-4644-0-80875500-1314725077_thumb.jpg

Started rebuilding my LT230 today. Due to excessively bad wear inside the centre diff casing i bought a 'new' centre diff from evil-bay. Now before you all take in a sharp breath, the guy had thousands of transactions with a feedback of 100%. Assured me that although it looked rusty on the outside, it was actually brand new and had just been stood in a garage for years. At £40 delivered i took a punt on it.

As soon as i got the diff i stripped it to inspect inside, and true to the sellers word, it was spanking new! Bonus!

HOWEVER.... when i offered the low range gear to the diff i noticed something wasnt quite right. Its difficult to explain (so ive included pics) but the gear itself fits over a boss on the diff unit and when home, the gear should be flush with the boss. On the old diff this is the case, but with the new diff the gear sits proud of the boss as if it isnt fully home, but when you look underneath it is fully home.

Please help!

1. Old diff without gear fitted

2. New diff without gear fitted

3. Old diff with gear fitted

4. New diff with gear fitted

See the difference in the centre where the gear fits over the locating boss?

looks like the new diff is out of an LT230R (roller) and you need one out of an LT230T (taper)

dimentions are different,

Dave

Hmmm, it's got that shoulder that you old one don't have. I thought I read somewhere that the LT-230's diff was derived from the diff in the integrated t/case of the old LT-95 4 speed. I wonder if that's what you've got there. :unsure: