Saggy front head lining

Hi guys

I'm having some serious saggy front headlining issues in my new Defender... it looks in ok condition, but of late it has started to touch my head while driving it's getting so low.

I was thinking about drilling some more holes in the centre roof support and adding more of those push in plastic holders - as they seem to be impossible to get out! Would that work or can anyone suggest anything else? :huh:

Ta much in advance!

On a mates truck we took off the wooly lining and spray glued it back on, the fibre board stuff behind it had also torn and warped so I put some strips of fibreglass behind it to repair the tears and bent it back a little more than should be to allow for it pulling back down and fibreglassed that to. Did that over a year ago and it still holding

Paul

Another vote for spray glue!

It might be possible to do it without removing the head lining, but you would have to make a couple of small cuts in the fabric...

If you can get one of those WD40 straws/tubes or a length of thin piping to fit in/on the end of a spray glue can, you can make a few small cuts, stick the tube in and spray the glue underneath.

Obviously you could end up with uneven glue and a few odd cuts in the lining, which would be acceptable in a farm hack, but not if yours is a showpiece!

Or thumbtacks to hold it up, if there is enough for them to hold into...

It's not quite a farm hack, and I'm trying to make it look nice as I plan to take it to a few car shows next year for something a bit different to the Impreza I normally take :ph34r:

I've already taken the headlining out (enged up smashing most of the clips as I had to pull them out with vice grips!) so putting glue on first wouldn't be a problem.

I thought the roof sat against the central bar on the roof and didn't actually touch the flat outer skin? Would putting glue on just the support be enough?

Sort of repaired mine (was touching the seat back!) by removing the cloth then giving both sides of the fibre stuff a coat of fibreglass resin, then when that was just tacky stuck the cloth back onto the tacky resin. Fixed back to the roof strengthening bars with more christmas tree "rivets" that I got from and autojumble. They are the same shaft diameter as the Landrover ones, but the head is twice the diameter. Google fasteners and you should come up with them in white or grey!

Can you buy the material that covers the headliner ?

I did my one with spray glue for carpets and it has held really well but the backing needs to be in good condition, if it has been damp the fiber may have separated and wont hold with glue as it will just part and drop down.

Removed my headling and glued camping mats to the roof to cut down on condensation which helps keep the damp out.

Frax ;)