Headlamp wiring problem/question

Please can somebody give me some tips with a problem that I have with the lights on my '99 Td5 ?

I cannot get either the side or headlights to switch on. They were fine a few days ago and have just suddenly stopped working. All fuses are OK.

The supply to the switch on the steering column shows 12v but as soon as any lights are selected the supply voltage falls to near zero. To me this feels like there is a problem with this supply cable as it is carrying too much resistance.

The wiring diagram suggests that this is commected (unfused) to the battery + so I was planning to replace the cable. However can anybody tell me where it actually goes to ? Does it end up somewhere in the fuse box or under the seat ?

Any other suggestions as to cause would be welcomed also.

Many thanks

Three Blades

Hi Three Blades

If you have 12 volts to start with, you should have a bit more showing before you turn the lights on, but that's another matter, if it is dropping away like that you might have a bad feed wire from the switch relay to the lights, or a wire earthing out along the feed to the lights, or the supply wire is damaged and supply the volts and not the (amps) current. I would start checking the voltage from the lights backwards.

Regards

Richard

Thanks for pointing me to the wiring diagram. I had a diagram that I was working from but it was clearly not the right one ! This gives me a couple of other places to check.

The problem is certainly the supply to the switch as I can make the lights work by running a new supply to the switch.

Thanks

TB

The fuse box in the 'engine bay' (according to the wiring diagram) is in fact the one under the driver's seat.

The supply to the lights from here is good but the wire from here to the light switch registers 0.5v difference at each end. Furthermore, if I run a new cable between these two points then the lights work fine. Hence the problem is confirmed to be the wire.

Short of pulling the loom apart (bad idea) or just running a new cable (bit of a bodge - but then it is a LR after all) the only other component in the circuit is a 'Header Joint 0287 (K109)' that is 2.5m from the fuse box and 70cm from the switch which would put it in the dash area somewhere. It is not obvious what or where this is but it connects a few supply lines together (hence the possibility of getting stray voltage into the line).

Can anybody give me any tips for locating this part ?

Thanks again

TB

header C0286 is one of the Orange headers behind the centre dash, that might be causing the lack of volts to the lights.

page below from my '99 Td5 RAVE cd electrical section.

hth.

1999 & 2001 Td5 wiring diagrams are in this & the tech archive, a search should find them.

post-20-0-54899800-1315951167_thumb.jpg

It looks like it was manufactured to be there. I have not owned it since new but comparing the quality of the other bodge-ups that I found, the quality of the under seat installation is by far superior and looks like that was the way it was built. Nice and clean and easy to access there. Shame that that is not where the problem is !

The '99 vintage seems to be a bit of a design change-over point.