Iveco Daily 2.8

Boydie

I can aquire a very low milage (actually kilometers but "kilometerage" doesnt sound right) Iveco Daily 2.8 litre Diesel engine.

Everything on the engine however looks "wrong", the turbo is on the top right hand side, the injectors and oil pump & filter are on the right hand side, and I believe the valves are twin cam. Apart from that it looks as if it would be a "straight swap" lenght and engine mounting position, in fact it's a little shorter length wise and lower in it's overall height even allowing for the aforesaid turbo and it looks very good apart from the fixed cooling fan which I would replace with the hydraulic one off the 300TDi if I decide to go ahead with the engine swap.

Has anyone done this swap and are there any advantages apart from the benefit of the additional torque, kilowats and reputed trouble free reputation of this motor.

• 3 months later...

Sorry about the delay in my answer, the short one is yes, the ZF4HP22 gearbox will fit the Iveco 2.8 given that some minor modifications to the TC drive plate on the Iveco crankshaft that would be required as well as an adaptor plate to match the bell housing to the Iveco motor, that said there isnt any advantage to make the swap worthwhile as the Iveco has only a little more torque and less hp than the 300TDi so I wont bother taking this any further however the idea of using the variable nozzle Garrett turbo setup from the 2.8 does however have some merit as the torque range is so smooth and it pulls so beautifully it has to be a consideration for some future time. For a "mechanical" (non ECU) motor it makes the 300TDi feel positively agricultural :(