Overdrive for a D110 with a 2.8 TGV and 33 inch tires?

This AP racing clutch....

I have spoken to M&D and they say they sell a 25% stronger pressure plate by AP that they fit with a 130 plate.

I also spoke to AP who have given me the part numbers for a 270lb/ft and 340lb/ft covers and can supply a plate to match.

Do you guys run the M&D version or buy direct from AP? if from AP which clamping force did you go for?

Sorry for the hijack.

Will.

I have spoken to M&D and they say they sell a 25% stronger pressure plate by AP that they fit with a 130 plate.

I also spoke to AP who have given me the part numbers for a 270lb/ft and 340lb/ft covers and can supply a plate to match.

Do you guys run the M&D version or buy direct from AP? if from AP which clamping force did you go for?

Sorry for the hijack.

Will.

Muddy:

I just bought a Heavy Duty AP Racing clutch for the Defender Td5 from e bay. I was told it was better than Britpart and better than Valeo and that is why I bought it.

Cheers,

Stgo

I run the M&D part, mainly because I when I needed it I had less than 7 days before I was off on holiday.

Care to post the AP part number for future reference?

I thought you had a TGV engine? Or does a Td5 clutch cover fit a 300tdi flywheel (Possible, but I didn't think so)?

Quality wise, I'd have no worries fitting anything AP branded, though I did once get a rogue master cylinder that had swarf in the bore.

Harder to guess the quality of the release bearing, but it's a PITA if it fails. I'd probably spring for a known make if I was at all uncertain about an unknown, unboxed one. (and definitely if it came in a blue box)

This the email i recieved from pete collen at AP:

As stated on the phone the Landrover Defender 110 300i from 3/94 on, was not serviced with clutch produced by our old parent company Automotive Products, so the Racing Division never developed any bolt on upgrades. It appears to have used a different clutch to the 200 TDi and 2.5 Diesel model but these are models we could provide uprated clutches for.

I’ve included the catalogue pg that details the 240mm units, If you compare the mounting PCD and set up height to your standard unit you should be able to see if the APR units are a viable upgrade. Alternatively you might be able to change F/w to suit the APR clutches.

Part # involved

CP2345-8

270lbft torque

Or

CP2346-14

340lbft torque

The Driven plate should be a little more straight forward if you can confirm the gearbox input shaft spline details?

If you need to order you can go though our agent based in Rochdale.

sales@questmead.c.uk

Pete Collen

The 270lbft cover is about £120+VAT from an ap agent however he could not find the 340lb/lt part number on his system and i cant find it on the attached calalouge page he emailed me.

I think i am going to order the M&D package tommoro as i cant wait much longer for a new clutch. Does the pedal get significantly heavier?

Will.

Thanks for that, will note those numbers for future reference.

The pedal was heavier with the new clutch, but not hugely so. I don't really notice muc difference going from my standard 200tdi 90 into the TGV Ibex.

I don't know if the M&D unit is the same as the one they supplied to me, but check the assembled clearance from the driven plate centre boss above the crankshaft/spigot bush.

We had to tickle mine with the angry grinder to allow for it to wear. It cleared as built, but not by much, and less than a worn 'normal' 130 HD plate did.

Yep, I have the 300tdi over-centre pedal.

Forgot to mention, the M&D clutch will probably rattle the input shaft on your gearbox when idling in neutral. It's because (I assume) the springing is much harsher on the driven plate. Can't remember the detail but I think there were a different number of springs on the driven plate. It's been in there a while so I don't remember the details. Been through a few gearboxes and it's been the same with all of them.

Edited by TSD

I thought you had a TGV engine? Or does a Td5 clutch cover fit a 300tdi flywheel (Possible, but I didn't think so)? Quality wise, I'd have no worries fitting anything AP branded, though I did once get a rogue master cylinder that had swarf in the bore. Harder to guess the quality of the release bearing, but it's a PITA if it fails. I'd probably spring for a known make if I was at all uncertain about an unknown, unboxed one. (and definitely if it came in a blue box)

TSD:

My Defender is a D110mTd5, year 1999, which has a 2.8 TGV installed instead of the Td5 engine. Therefore I have a 2.8 TGV flywheel (solid, not dual mass as in the Td5) and a Td5 clutch (the original one). It lasted (only?) 128,000 KILOMETRES and I will chnage it.....tomorrow (true).

My clutch often rattles at iddle as you mentioned above. When I depress the clutch it usually goes away and comes back later on. I little bit anoying but it is not a big deal. No idea why it happens.

Cheers,

Stgo

There is AP and AP Racing, different outfits I believe.

I fitted the M&D AP clutch plate and was unimpressed, it rattled so I changed it immediately, for an AP Racing version supplied by Rakeway. It's around £300 or so, works brilliantly.

Tyres are BFG MT 255/85 so about 33".

O/D was fitted from new with TGV so can't give before and after power comparison.

John

Ok, just a small update.

I rung rakeaway out of curiosity and spent a good40mins chatting to neil. And as such i think i may have sinned, yes i have order a britpart HD clutch :blink::ph34r:

TSD i would throw that part number i gave in the bin if i were you, the centre height is wrong; 50 something mm instead of 45, it has a bearing plate wich a 300 does not want and is only rated to 270lb/ft with a paddle plate so probs 230/240 with an organic plate.

According to neil the britpart diaphram DOES have a stronger diaphram spring. and it sounds like the friction plate is a copy of the lr 130 242mm plate. I have also ordered a ali bearing carrier in with it.

So these are just my own thoughts but hd clutch options from weakest to strongest in my opinion and procrastinatio appear to be as follows:

Standard valeo/borg&beck HD clutch kit: standard diaphram pressure but hd 242mm 8 spring plate. Circa £90 with vat

Britpart HD kit: Uprated diaphram and britpart kwality 8 spring plate (presume 242mm will measure when it comes) £70 with vat and carraige

Motor and diesel: Ap racing cover '25% increased diaphram pressure' and valeo 130 242mm plate £205 with vat

Rakeaway proper job: Ap racing brown spring cover (i think thats what he said) with Ap racing organic plate (good for 400lb/ft of torque apparantly) £345 ish with vat.

So there we go, i'll see what the ****part one does, i'm not holding my breath but, its the cheapest of the lot and i dont see the point of the M&D one when for another £140 you know its going to be right, i can always bung the ap plate under the britpart cover if i fancy living dangerously :hysterical:

Will suitably confuzzeled by clutches :blink:

It *might* be even more confusing than that, thinking about it...

When I first looked at the TGV, I think M&D offered a different HD clutch, which required a small mod to the bellhousing - which sounds like it could possibly be your 50mm cover? Dunno.

When I bought the TGV and fitting kit, I ordered the HD clutch kit (from M&D) - which I believe is the M&D option you have listed.

A year later the driven plate disintegrated, and I need to be on the road ASAP. M&D sold me a different driven plate, which was refitted with the same cover plate. It may be the same as the Rakeway driven plate you mention, who knows.

(M&D removed the part numbers from the AP boxes in both cases before supplying them - which is the only complaint I have about their service.)

Thanks for taking the time to post up your findings!

Dave

AKAIK from reading m&d's website their old HD kit was the 10.5" V8 clutch which from talking to a lot of people round here with years of experience is a decent clutch and would do what i want however that wont fit a tdi without mods as you state.