D1 inner wing rust job - my first welding job- starting prep today

SwindonDisco

so I finally got around to getting some 0.6mm sheet and today I have removed the wings ready for discing out to solid metal and shining up for welding.

my question is should I overlap weld with the new metal in the wheel arch or in the engine bay, presume welding upside down is not easy?

medium.jpg

No, upside down is a pig of a job. It's 'ideal' vs 'practical'.

Ideally the weld is underneath and sealed from road water, but in reality thats for a 'perfect build'.

The open joint underneath of an 'easy life weld' will last a long time and you'll probably seal it well, so it won't be a big issue.

I have just finished my Disco1 body rebuild and have used 16g (1.4mm) steel minumum. I've used quite a lot of 2mm, and some 3mm for the chassis. I totally replaced the inner wings, making cardboard templates from the remains of the originals. I didn't disturb the upper wing panels (nearside one has the hole for the air intake) to provide a datum. Making up new complete panels is very straightforward and the subsequent welding on new steel is as easy as it gets.The only difficult welds were the horizontal joints with the old (but fairly sound) upper panels. I learn't early on that trying to weld to the old rusty bodywork is a waste of time, upside down or otherwise! Body seam filler will stop water ingress where you can't line weld the whole joint. End result is as good as new and should last another 18 years. You'll need to strip the engine bay, but it will be worth it and you can do all the other little jobs in that area as you go! Whatever you decide to do, cut back to really sound metal and clean it to a shine before you weld.

having done a similar repair in the not so distant past I can reccomend from experience that the more you do off the vehicle in terms of fabrication of replacement panel the easier it will be.

In hindsight I should have either made or bought replacement inner wing sections as this would have saved hours of cutting grinding and welding and givena tidier end product. The only other thing I would say is don't be shy with the grinder, if it looks iffy cut it out this will make your life easier too - again I spent hours trying to patch and save wafer thin tatt that I eventually cut out.