Heated Windscreen Switching

Another variant on the heated screen wiring I'm afraid...

I've searched but don't seem to be able to find an answer to my problem. I've just had a heated screen fitted and am going to use the factory timer to power the relay, what I want to do is use the same switch as the rear screen, I know normally the timer runs for 8 mins once it gets power from the standard switch and then turns off as the normal switch is a momentry item. If however i use the rear switch would the timer keep on going as it's getting a continuous power feed? Is there an easy way round this?

Thanks

Charlie

Bad idea. The timer relay will object to having a continuous feed.

It is designed to take a pulse so you will need some other logic in between.

As you already have identified that you need the timer relay and the high current relay you might as well add the extra switch for just a few ££s.

And more importantly I would have thought the use of the two is completely different needing two switches.

The front will only be needed when you get up in the morning.

The rear will be on on every wet/damp journey all year.

Had heated screen on my 90 for 8-years now and never had a problem with it being manually switched, it is so effective that it is only required for a couple of minutes at most and that time is usually spent wiping down the side windows etc so I turn it off when I am ready to move. Twin circuits fed off a Durite heated screen switch.

More importantly my cooling & heating work correctly so I get warm air through the vents after just 2-3 miles and after that it is really toasty so it is not required again.

Mine is on a manual switch (Carling) and high amp relay and if I forget to switch it off I'm not worried....

I recon it will die a day or two earlier in the end from the added use but I decided to keep it simple...

(Note to self.... Fix the wiring to the rear one.. Not been working for three years!!!)

Neil