200tdi pump woes - no acceleration, only idling

Hi Chaps,

I have a Defender 200tdi (not disco) and it no longer accelerates, just ticks over at idle. I couldn't start it on Sunday night and yesterday ended up replacing the shutdown solenoid. This didn't cure it, but i did find some metal shavings in there. Following this I suspected the fuel lift pump and upon inspection (undoing the bleed valve on the fuel filter) found that this wasn't working. Have replaced this today but I still can't rev the engine at all and it only idles. Thinking that the next step will be to have the injection pump refurbished but this is pricey?

Anyone know if there is some quirk that i need to sort or if I am destined to spend £400 odd on a refurbished injector pump? Did think about taking the fuel lines off the injector pump and back blowing it with air to see if there was some carp in there from the disintegrating fuel lift pump.... Is this worth while?

Poor girl has just hit 199,000 miles....

Cheers,

James

I was gonna say lift pump.................... so, my next step would be to fit a new filter, just in case.... then, i would rig up a temporary supply to the lift pump from a gallon can or similar........ as it sounds as though you might be sucking air in, so its worth taking the temp supply route to see if you can isolate tank or feed pipes...... just for interest, whip the drivers seat and tank cover plate off and see what the pipes look like on the top of the tank!

replacing the shutdown solenoid. This didn't cure it, but i did find some metal shavings in there.

metal shaving under the shutoff soleniod come from the cam & roller inside the FIP, mine did the same a few years ago, only a FIP rebuild with the latest parts cured it.

Thanks guys, well new lift pump fitted. Fuel now flowing nicely out the top of the lift pump, but still wont rev properly. Swapped out the filter to no avail as well..

Will check pipes ontop of fuel tank, but they were fine when I swapped the tank out 2 years ago. Think as Western says, its going to be the FIP. B******!!!

Guess I haven't spent that much on the girl in the 3 years i've owned her, so probably due for a major fix of something.