TD5 no power/ stalling

Hi everybody,

I have a 2005 TD5 Defender. Been having a problem on and off for a while....My Land Rover occasionaly has no power when pulling away in first (sometimes my right foot is flat on the floor), and stalls.

This happens usually, but not always, when pulling away up an incline.

Has just had full service and still have the issue - any suggestions??

Thanks!

My 2001 Defender TD5 had a similar issue: turned out to be the turbocharger wastegate was sticky. Sometimes it would stick open - resulting in no boost at low revs and an engine without enough torque to pull the skin off a bowl of custard; other times it would stick closed causing the engine to overboost with anything more than a whiff of throttle at around 1500RPM which then triggered "limp-home" mode on the ECU and gave sloth-on-valium can't-exceed-70MPH performance.

Lots of manual wiggling of the wastegate actuator accompanied by applications of molybdenum-sulphite powder to the bearing sorted the problem. DO NOT use oil-based lubricants on the wastegate-arm bearing: the heat will cremate the oil to a sticky mess and make the problem much, much worse!

My 2001 Defender TD5 had a similar issue: turned out to be the turbocharger wastegate was sticky. Sometimes it would stick open - resulting in no boost at low revs and an engine without enough torque to pull the skin off a bowl of custard; other times it would stick closed causing the engine to overboost with anything more than a whiff of throttle at around 1500RPM which then triggered "limp-home" mode on the ECU and gave sloth-on-valium can't-exceed-70MPH performance.

Lots of manual wiggling of the wastegate actuator accompanied by applications of molybdenum-sulphite powder to the bearing sorted the problem. DO NOT use oil-based lubricants on the wastegate-arm bearing: the heat will cremate the oil to a sticky mess and make the problem much, much worse!

Hi,

Sorry to be complete div but do you apply the lubricant to the linkage at turbo end or to the rod going into the actuator housing? Should I be able to pull the rod back and forwards from the housing - at the moment it doesn't budge at all.

Thanks for your help