Several faults on my Disco 2 TD5!!

jagwit

Hi guys

This is a call to those who really know and understand the meaning of the faults reported by the TD5 engine management system (EMS) via my Hawkeye scanner:

1. 3018 Coolant temp high
  2. 3034 Coolant temp fault
  3. 3066 Tacho drive open load logged (if ABS fitted)
  4. 3037 Gearbox/ABS o/p open load logged
  5. 3069 MI lamp drive open load
  6. 3070 Glow plug lamp drive open load logged
  7. 3099 Gearbox/ABS o/p open load active
  8. 3129 Road speed missing fault logged
  9. 3152 road speed missing
  10. 3174 Fault detected auto gearbox

Not to lead you astray, the following:

• The above faults reported by my DEFENDER TD5, MANUAL Gearbox, no ABS
  • I know that a service engineer loaded the "fuel maps" as for a "Disco 2, TD5 European spec, Auto" onto the EMS (which itself comes out of a Disco 2) and is now installed in my Defender. (The original EMS was not of the programmable type which is why it was replaced with the Disco EMS)
  • The Disco 2, TD5 European spec, Auto spec fuel map was loaded onto my EMS knowing that this fuel map produces much more power than the grossly detuned "Defender Rest of World" fuel map that was on the original EMS.

The above means that faults 3, 4, 7 and 10 can be explained not having the auto box connected to the ECU and not having ABS on the car - which is why I have them in green.

• When I view "Live data" the EMS reports engine coolant temp correctly, so I do not understand faults 1 and 2
  • The MI lamp and Glow plug lamps both work when tested with the output testing capability of Hawkeye. The glowplug lamp also comes on when the engine is cold.

Faults 1 and 2 really has me baffled though. Why would these faults come up when the EMS gets a valid coolant reading from the engine?

What coolant are you using and is it to the correct ratio? I beleive TD5 needs the red coolant, Organic Acid Technology, not green ethylene-glycol based coolant. Wrong coolant or coolant mix ratio may result in an incorrect operating temperature.

Ray.

Hi Chris

The guy who did all this for me knew that the Disco ECU would create issues with the Defender coolant gauge and replaced the Defender coolant gauge with a mechanical coolant gauge (thermostatic gauge??) - those that work permanently.

Is it possible that the ECU somehow knows that there is no coolant gauge connected to it making it report producing alarms 1 and 2?