power steering box backlash adjustment

Boro

The backlash will be the same regardless as its all about mechanical wear and associated clearances. With the engine running it will tend to mask any tightness so i would do it non-running. By design & use the wear will be most evident around straight ahead. If you adjust for straight ahead then turn the wheel a full turn to either side you may find it tight/binds.

• 2 weeks later...

Well in the past when i adjusted backlash on the old disco i did it with the engine running and all was fine, in the end with the rangerover i adjusted the box with the engine off and it sat on the ground and just rocked the imput shaft as i adjusted it keeping an eye on the drop arm, needs a bit more adjustment as i left a bit of play in it as i was doing it on my own and didnt want to over do it and end up with tight spots, it has made a huge improvement to the steering, only a short term measure really as i had already ordered a new box...