V8 Conversion Engine Mounts

minivin

Does anybody have any photo's of their's either loose or fitted, just out of interest what they look like as the one's I had raised the engine upwards by about 5 degrees and had the hole for the rubber mount stud 1" below the centre line of the engine mount block studs

yeah dunno meself, maybe somthing to do with anti-polling of oil on top of the combustion chambers in the cylinders (sorta cause it all to flow to the back and back down into the engine and sump).

If your engine was slightly at an angle I take it your rear propshaft was not affected by clearance as it went through the cross member hole?

Nope, although the front one looked like it had gotten close to the hole a few times. Mine was a 6cyl, so things were a few inches further back.

How noticable is the tilt on your engine? You'd have to look hard to notice mine.

talking something like 5-10 degree's incline at a guess as it's difficult unless you got LASER measuring kit to figure angles by eye.

Have been talking to these people:

http://www.engineconversions.co.uk/landrover.html

They reckon that their kit doesn't touch the transmission tunnel flange and that the engine sits quite level, hoping to receive a text message with a picture soon of the engine mount to see how it compares

so delivering a wicked exhaust system at same time?

pics of differences of mounts?

I'll get that ordered tomorrow :D

was going to take a photo at lunch, then the batteries went flat :huh: will get some new batteries after work and get them posted up tonight

i still think your original mounts that bolt to the engine could have been modded to align your engine where u want it

They were a bit odd, the main bracket was a length of 20x25mm rectangular rod from what i could tell, with off cuts of this located where the bolts went for the engine bolts to setp it out 20mm, and then some 6mm mild steel folded into a V and gussetted each end of a V of the same material, and then welded all around to the main slab of 20x25. would have meant either totally cutting off the old folded portion and fabricating up a new piece to be welded on, or heavily modify what was on there.

Don't have to worry now :) now what else can I worry about :unsure:

it's a'right, I have cunning ways of water proofing that I will be exploring, I aint had any of my Sea Kings or Chinooks cough and splutter when they float the boats and scubber's out the door's (did have a piccie of our trials chinook somewhere with the water lapping at the windows)

{edit}

Bit like this ;)

CH47_On_The_Water.jpg

just had a thought (not being techy minded i is prob VERY wrong though)

how do you know some one else didnt have a go and the engine in your truck wasnt the original?

Also leave the bling /neons and stereos to Stringy.... he does them soooooo well! :D

P.S. YOUR sea kings and chinooks? bet your mum loved you when you rebuilt them in your bedroom???? :hysterical:

just had a thought (not being techy minded i is prob VERY wrong though)

how do you know some one else didnt have a go and the engine in your truck wasnt the original?

Also leave the bling /neons and stereos to Stringy.... he does them soooooo well! :D

P.S. YOUR sea kings and chinooks? bet your mum loved you when you rebuilt them in your bedroom???? :hysterical:

Coz I did the work ;) bit of a sod on the drivers engine mount as it had a different one fitted to the block which was difficult to tighten the nut on the rubber mount, but a very easy engine to fit

us aero-techies treat our aircraft as our babies :D

PMSL

knock knock

"Rob!"

"Yes mum?"

"Are you smoking in there?"

"No"

"Are you building a chinook?"

"Noooo..."

:hysterical:

"The neighbours are complaining of the fumes rafting into their kitchen, will you shut that god damn jet engine down" :D

Ok, here we go is the engine mount for the drivers side, it's designed to point the nose of the engine upwards (up class you see) and this is done by having the hole for the engine mount rubber 25mm below a centreline that goes through the engine block mounting bolts:

DSCF2382.jpg

Once I get the new mounts I'll measure up and take a photo

ISTR V8's are meant to be mounted a few degrees "on the p" for some reason, perhaps that was just how they were fitted in SD1's or summat :unsure:

there is some tilt built into the engine - I noticed this when I put my heads on - can't off hand remember but think it is the inlet manifold (carbs) that is sloping, so if the engine is tilted (up at the front?) the manifold is horizontal. Something like that anyways, like I said, can't recall excatly what it was .....