outerwears pre filters how waterproof?

19MART82

ive recently made a new snorkel for my 90 and done away with the filter box and fitted a green cotton air filter and outerwears pre filter directly on top of the pipe

it states the pre filters are waterproof http://www.devon4x4....emart&Itemid=14 and ive seen a few challenge trucks useing them so presumed there ok,

however after fabricateing the snorkel and fitting it i noticed in the small print of the instructions it states the pre filters are not suitable for external use,is this just to cover there back or are they not suitable? just wondered as ive seen a few challenge trucks useing them

002fol.jpg

thats what i was thinking,but ive seen a few landrovers with them i.e through cab snorkels,maybe they didnt read the small print

the 2 main reasons i went down this route was to get rid of the filter box and just have 1 pipe straight through so less chance of water ingress (i know i know :ph34r: )

and ive mounted the winch allbright selonoids in that space now to keep them out the eliments,

looks like i will have to have a rethink :(

The outerwear filters aren't waterproof as in keeping water out of the filter - how could they be when they have to let air through ? They aren't designed as anything more than a pre-filter to keep the largest particles (sand/mud) from clogging up the main filter.

Having said that though they do seem to stop most of the rain getting in as it tends to run off them more than soak through them when the engine is turned off. Even more so if you use an oiled filter as the outerwear gets "oiled" form the filter and looks like a waxed jacket after a while.

Spray the jetwash at one though and you'll need to install a drain tap in the snorkel - I have one fitted at the lowest point of my snorkel with a "water trap" but then my snorkel runs down to chassis level at the bottom of the pipe behind the cab so the lowest point is conveniently placed a long way from the engine.