300tdi gearbox chassis mounts

fender1234

Hi all,

I have picked up a chassis that originated from a 300tdi automatic discovery, it has the gearbox mounts incorporated into the gearbox crossmember, im hoping to fit an r380 gearbox and trying to workout whether both gearbox's use the same mounts or whether i need different chassis mounts to fit the manual box?

If anyone can shed some light onto this that would be great.

Cheers

From what I've observed its a straight swap and everything will mate up. Like you I was considering fitting a R380 to my Disco and ditching the auto ZF but decided against it as the ZF seems to be a far better option for the sort of cross country work that I do as its s lot kinder to the rest of the transmission and drive.

I borrowed a R380 case and carried out all the measurement checks and even the shafts are the same. The hassles come with the fitment of a peddle box, a new bell housing, flywheel and installing a clutch etc.

Good luck .........

The 3 bolt holes in a V pattern to the rear of the mount are in the same place (relative) on all LR chassis (defenders and Discos) and make a useful reference point. On the R380 cross member the mounts are more or less in line with the top-front of with these V shaped bolt holes (the passenger side rubber mount is high and almost touches the forward top hole).

Can take pics if you like as I have a rolling chassis in the shed (Defender using a discovery crossmember!)

Hi chaps,

I thought the bolt holes would be the same on all but wasnt sure if the crossmember i have with the mounts attached was the same for the zf box and r380, Orgasmic Farmer a picture would be useful if you have one please?

Or if snyone has parts diagrams for the 300tdi chassis that would be even better :-)

Cheers

I have done a swap in Disco1, taking out a V8 with ZF and replacing with a 300tdi and R380. The engine mounts are in a different place but that is another story.

When you take out the ZF with transfer case and its cross member, offer up the R380 with transfer case and its cross member. You will find that the holes needed are already all there in the chassis, but not all the same holes are used. Two sets of holes are there, some holes are used for both configurations but some are not. As already mentioned, with the R380, one mount is on the gearbox itself, the other is on the transfer case. Both fit to the cross member but they are offset to each other.

The transfer case needs to stay in the same position for both transmissions in order for the drive shafts to stay the same etc and Land Rover made the chassis so that either transmission would fit on the assembly line. At least, this is the way that my 1998/99 SD was and I believe it was true for the older cars too.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...