Towing Electics Question

Hi all

I have a 300Tdi 110 fitting with a ROW spec loom (Basically a modified Td5 Loom). I would like to fit a standard towing socket and was wondering which one I need? As my loom is made up of the later type fittings that all just push together and I dont want to bodge it s would rather have a proper Land Rover Part.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

James, thanks for the reply! Erm, 110 hasn't really made an massive leaps as I am now working in Australia, which is a little far from Devon....that hasn't stopped me buying all the stuff to finish it though! I am reliably told by my parents that I now have a bedroom with over 30 packages in it!

Had a bit of a mishap though, unfortunately I am going to have to remove all the "Fatmat" as while doing a bit more thorough research into soundproofing etc it appears that its actually roofing insulation and not what it claimed to be at all. Well that and the fact that it is very likely to fall off in a couple of years (seen pictures on other forums VERY messy) and a whole host of other things such as it can be poisonous as well!

I got in contact with a very helpful company in the States (Second Skin Audio) who have excellent reviews in all manner of forums and ended up buying a load of proper job sound proofing and heating insulating materials from them (I did email several UK companies asking for advice but got NOTHING), I tell you its pretty sad that I ended up taking my money to another country!

So, the plan is; get back to the UK early June, take it to bits again (and by bits I mean to a bare chassis), off the the Fatmat and on with the proper stuff, split the engine and gearbox to fit an uprated clutch and pressure plate and I think I might have just about convinced myself to paint the chassis with a product called Rustbuster Epoxy Mastic as I figure I have the opportunity to do it again and I dont like having a galv chassis on show (there is too many Defenders going missing in the UK right now).

Anyway, here is what it looked like before I left in April (B-posts galvanised and painted):

IMG_1779.jpg

Cant remember if I posted these ones before:

Southdown Tank Guard (I think this is a truly fantastic piece of kit)

IMG_1644.jpg

On-board air receiver:

IMG_1629.jpg

Back up air-source (ARB High output comp) and difflock driver, will be substituted by an Warn SPI unit.

IMG_1638.jpg

Think that's about it, oh it does have AC now as well! A kit came up on eblag for the right price and boom it was mine! Whats more if you look carefully I didn't even have to move the grill forward..

Looks good Defender300Tdi

Yowsers – which article/site persuaded you to ‘de-Fatmat’? I’d already rejected Fatmat on cost grounds* and was going to use proper heatshield stuff on bulkhead and underside of seatbox/floor, and cheapskate option on the roof/sides (camping mat or sticky-back flashing tape).

*Or rather, cost in the UK – it’s less than ½ the price in the US but my boss is being extremely obstinate about foreign travel at the moment…Must try to apply to outfits like yours that send you off to foreign parts…

Australia, alright for some!

I read of it falling off but I decided it was mostly in the hotter US states where temperatures get a tad hotter than they do here! Hopefully anyway, since my bulkhead now has a layer of it. Not that it can fall off there as the dash is in the way.

Let us know how the Second Skin stuff gets on, certainly looks good from the website :)

Looks good Defender300Tdi

Yowsers – which article/site persuaded you to ‘de-Fatmat’? I’d already rejected Fatmat on cost grounds* and was going to use proper heatshield stuff on bulkhead and underside of seatbox/floor, and cheapskate option on the roof/sides (camping mat or sticky-back flashing tape).

*Or rather, cost in the UK – it’s less than ½ the price in the US but my boss is being extremely obstinate about foreign travel at the moment…Must try to apply to outfits like yours that send you off to foreign parts…

It wasn't just one site, it was many, many sites! Frankly I wish I had been more careful before I bought the stuff, but hey ho that's life sometimes. I now have around 40kg of proper, legitimate sound proofing material that wont peel off in 4 years, wont turn to a stick goo in any kind of heat (Defender will be driven to Africa at least once within the next 5 years) and final wont poison me! Frankly I think I got lucky discovering this now rather than having completed the re-build only to have to take the thing to bits again. At least it should be fairly easy at the stage its at. Just the time is that killer as usual.

Australia, alright for some!

I read of it falling off but I decided it was mostly in the hotter US states where temperatures get a tad hotter than they do here! Hopefully anyway, since my bulkhead now has a layer of it. Not that it can fall off there as the dash is in the way.

Let us know how the Second Skin stuff gets on, certainly looks good from the website :)

I agree there is an argument for that James. I apologise for recommending such a product! I know there was a time when I was raving about it....

As I plan to really travel with this Defender I didn't want to risk it I guess. Its also worth noting that the FatMat isn't much good in cold temperatures either. In fact like I said it just seems to get stated on Forums for all sorts of reasons.

Will definitely let you know how it all goes together with the new stuff. Like I said SecondSkin seem to get consistently very good reports, their customer service was brilliant (considering they where dealing with someone on the other side of the world) and the delivery/dispatch time was quicker than some stuff I have brought in the UK!

Oh how I miss working on the Landy though!