Gearbox

I have a P reg 300TDi 90. The gear change is not great on it.

Changing down gears is fine but changing up results in some graunching noises unles you do it fairly slowly. The box has plenty of ATF and is not making any other noises or exhibiting any other problems.

Any ideas. I'm assuming it a selector issue but not sure what.

Guy

I put the Difflock stuff in mine about a year ago and initially I thought it made a difference but having driven it for a while I don't think it is better, just different. Where it used to be stiff/graunchy when cold but OK when hot (with MTF94 in), now it is ok when cold but inclined to crash when very hot e.g. after a long run off road. On balance I think I'd rather have it the other way round so I'm going back to the MTF94 at the next service. Also the small matter of it being twice the price of MTF...

Changing down gears is fine.....

It's the opposite on my 300TDI every now and then changing down means that you can't find any gear at all!! :(:huh:

Double declutching works but what a PITA particularly as it only does it now and again! :angry:

I wondered if changing to the Difflock stuff would help. The jury seems out on it though.

it feels like the cogs are not quite in the right place and you need to give them a short time to come together before you let the clutch up.

None of my other Land Rovers have done this.

Guy

I wondered if changing to the Difflock stuff would help. The jury seems out on it though.

it feels like the cogs are not quite in the right place and you need to give them a short time to come together before you let the clutch up.

None of my other Land Rovers have done this.

Guy

If you are like me and would have to give that sort of job to a 'bloke', it would cost the best part of £500 to get the box off, have a look, change the clutch whilst you're on (might as well), and then stick it all back together!

For the sake of an (slighty more expensive than normal) oil change, I'd say you have nothing to loose.

Unless it goes bang!!! (joking!)