Home-made welding machine

Eightpot

just read the thread on concrete lathes, and it put me in mind of some of the ingenious home made machines I saw in Africa - particularly the welding sets.

Most of them were completely home made from scratch, using short bits of wood wrapped with old electrical flex, then covered with cardboard as the windings, mounted inside either an old shopping trolley, wooden box or beer crate.

Power was increased or decreased by attaching the 'welding lead' (lots of bits of old wire sellotaped together) to one of two or three bolts attached to the windings.

The end of the 'welding lead' would be attached to a pair of pliers which they held the rod with.

This set in Uganda was finished off quite nicely in a nice metal frame - wouldn't have fancied touching it though :ph34r:

The one awful thing is the guys doing the welding can rarely afford a mask, and aren't aware of the dangers, so either squint as they weld, or if they are lucky, have a cheap pair of sunglasses to put on. Next trip out I'll be taking some cheap filters with me to dish out.

post-4919-0-11422300-1322314128_thumb.jpg

post-4919-0-47419700-1322314295_thumb.jpg