Staring/(fuel) issue

jameslwt

I have noticed over the last few days that my 2003 td5 has been very rough at start up until I press the accelerator. Otherwise all fine. Then today it would fire but immediately stop - until I kept the key turned and again pressed the loud pedal. Again it's been fine all day since then. I also noticed a whining/high pitched buzzing from the rear of the vehicle - so this makes me think it's a pump issue.

Has anyone else got any other ideas before I order a new pump?

Many thanks

James

"Whining" and "gurgling" fuel-pump noises plus starting-issues were the symptoms of failed copper injector-seals on my 2001 TD5 Defender.

Fix this quickly - or the combustion-gases and carbon that get past the seals will trash the fuel-pump. And that's a £500 fix. The seals themselves are pennies each, and a couple of hours labour to replace.

--Tanuki.

"Badgers are never part of the answer but always part of the problem"

Just been to talk to local land rover garage man to get him to change injector seals (didn't fancy doing this one) and he immediately said 'air flow meter' - and of course this is a quick job that I can do myself (ie doing himself out of a job). Now I'm not sure what to do!

Rubbish,nothing to do with AFM, if you disconnect it the ecu will run default values instead.It does not affect starting and the ecu wont look for a value from it till the engine gets to about 500 rpm,even then if its a very low output it will just be gutless.I see many running around with them disconnected,they dont make a great deal of difference.