Strange noises!

HighlandRover

I have a 2000 Discovery 2 td5 with 130,000 miles on the clock. Recently when ever I take my foot off the accelerator a strange rattle/ chirping noise comes from the front of the vehicle. I've not yet investigated the problem as its cold and dark after work. I'm pretty sure it's not the exhaust. I know it's a pretty vague description but I'm hoping somebody will recognise this problem and have an idea where to start looking when I look into it this weekend.

Highlandrover

Not got a td5 but when you say "chirp" sounds like a fan belt tensioner/pulley issues to me, my ford focus does it when the engine is idleing - well i'm sure its doing it all the time but its more noticable when the engine is ticking over.

Mav

UJ problems usually come with a vibration too, well you'll know about it pretty soon if its a UJ.

Sounds like you need an assistant to controllably rev the engine while you get in/under it to have a listen, once you can disqualify any stationary noise you can narrow it down to a part of the drivetrain/suspension - well thats how i'd move forward. :)