Disco 200/300 exhaust ??

CBolton

Hi all...is there a difference in the exhaust between a 200tdi and 300tdi,,,,,obviously yes for front pipe...but centre and rear silencer boxes ???

...basically if i bought through pipe and rear box listed for a 300 tdi will it fit my 200tdi ok ??

I dont know about the diameter but the centre box is just so much surplus weight and one more thing to hit snags and rocks, I had the rally scrutineers take a sound reading of my Disco 300TDi at the start of the recent round of the WRC at Coffs Harbour, Northern NSW.

At 1.0 meter above ground level and at 5 meters to the rear of the discharge pipe (which are the Australian ref. points) it was still well under the legal limit of 65Db on the weighted "A" scale producing only 58Db @ 2500RPM, oddly it dropped to 52Db as the revs increased to 4250. :blink:

I had the readings taken out of curiosity as I'd taken off the centre muffler and replaced it with a straight section of exhaust pipe just proving that the turbo kills most of the offensive discharged sound waves. ^_^

• 2 months later...

I dont know about the diameter but the centre box is just so much surplus weight and one more thing to hit snags and rocks, I had the rally scrutineers take a sound reading of my Disco 300TDi at the start of the recent round of the WRC at Coffs Harbour, Northern NSW.

At 1.0 meter above ground level and at 5 meters to the rear of the discharge pipe (which are the Australian ref. points) it was still well under the legal limit of 65Db on the weighted "A" scale producing only 58Db @ 2500RPM, oddly it dropped to 52Db as the revs increased to 4250. :blink:

I had the readings taken out of curiosity as I'd taken off the centre muffler and replaced it with a straight section of exhaust pipe just proving that the turbo kills most of the offensive discharged sound waves. ^_^

What pipe did you use for a replacement ,was it home made or was it bought .coachman

Home made, well it was measured up by the local muffler guy and flared to replace the centre muffler., I then drove home and replaced it, the original muffler circa 1998 by i=t's date stamp sits on the spares shelf in my work shed.

Coachman,

Okay its 60mm OD pipe, (stainless but MS would do) it is 850 long, swaged at one end with an oval flange with two biolt holes 8mm dia at 90mm PCD, The other end is flarted to accept 60mm pipe, the flare is 76mm deep. There are two hangers formed fron 6mm bar and I've attached them to the length of tube with S/S 50-75 hose clamps.

To fit it all I had to do was get under the car with a hacksaw and cut the exhaust pipe at the correct point behind the existing muffler.