general grabber ats for X reg Disco 2

devfrman

I have an x plate Discovery 2 diesel with a mixed bag of tyres. 3 x Pirelli Scorpions ( and one different Pirelli, not sure what, but tread is different )

These are the tyres that came with the vehicle when I bought it last year and they are sized 255 x 55 18, and worn to differeing depths (3m/4m 6 and 7m)

I am looking at replacing the set;

Usage is 8000 mainly road miles per annum , but we live quite high up a remote track and get snow/ice for around 6/ 8 weeks of the year, when the Disco Hill descent is essential/ necessary for my wife to be able to get in and out from home

My "independent " Land rover garage man has said to go for the general grabber ats x 4.

Other options might be to

a) replace the scorpions ( but they are higher priced and its only an 8000 miles per year vehicle)

b) or Goodyear Wranglers/MIchelins maybe, being more road focussed

The Grabbers have good reports on both their road use characteristics and economy/mileage as far as I can so far glean , but they are less of a road tyre, and looking at the profile pictures, they have quite high /almost square shoulders, rather tham the rounded profile of the others.

Does this cause any compromise or loss of feel/grip in everyday road use, eg when used in wet conditions maybe?

I woould be interested to hear of any experience with these tyres and what other ideas/feedback you may have;

Thanks

I run 255/70/16 Grabber At2s on my Disco and have to say that the damp-to-wet road grip is down compared to the OEM fit Michelins, but only when you're testing the ACE round round abouts as BogMonster is suggesting.

I do 12,000 road miles per year and the At2s are now over 2.5 years old and showing very little sign of wear. You can hear a slight whirl / whine from then at around 50, but otherwise they're as good on road as any other tyre. Snow grip is excellent, but they still struggle on really polished ice. In other off road conditions they're excellent.

post-5209-0-84692600-1323764782_thumb.jpg

I've got AT2s on a set of wheels that I run for winter and Michelins that I run for summer.

No real difference between the two by way of road manners except for ever-so-slightly less grip in very wet road conditions.

As plasticbadger says, grip is fine on everything except polished ice. I'm very happy with them.

The general grabbers are excellent alround tyres and will last a good mileage. I had them on my defender last winter and coped brilliant with the snow! I even had to pull the coal lorry up the oldmans drive when he got stuck!!

Don't know if youve priced any up?? But give this chap a try Jcs 4x4 wheels & tyres 07831 440852 Charles is his name.

Cheers scatt