Drive member hardness

muddy

Evening all, The front drive members on my 90 (24spline) have lots of slack in them, i fitted one new one about a year ago although it came in a white box....

I presume that the cvs are harder than the flanges and thus the cvs 'shouldnt' be that worn...

Shopping about the prices of OEM flanges or allmakes OE for example isnt far off the price of terrafirma HD driveflanges (more in some cases). So will/are the terrafirma ones harder and thus last longer?

Whilst i do drive/work it pretty hard, often spin the front wheels and do the odd RTV with it i've not blown any of the drivetrain up yet so its not used that hard and i have no plans to upgrade the internals.

Has anyone tested the various different makes or have any first hand experience of the varying quality?

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations...

Will.

Your cv splines will be worn as well so fitting new flanges will wear the new flanges out quite quickly.

I dont see the point in hd flanges with standard shafts. Flanges are weaker than shafts in my experiance and less of a fuss to change. I wouldnt expect En24t flanges to be much stronger either, and not being hardened in any way means they will still wear on the splines.

its been a common problem since l/r started useing 1 shot grease in the swivels,when l/r used to use ep90 oil in the swivels oil used to migrate along the shaft and lubricate the splines at the drive flange which prevented wear of the splines,with the swivel grease thats used now days this doesnt happen so the splines are normally dry increasing wear,im sure ashcroft advise removeing the seal so oil can migrate from the axle but i normally pack the splines with grease when fitting the drive flange