Late TD5 Defender coolant system

Dave W

I'm in the middle of a TD5 conversion, changing SWMBO's 90 from a V8 auto with LPG to a TD5 auto.

The engine is a late engine with a 15P prefix, it has EGR and a square fuel cooler.

Most of the coolant system is pretty straight forward given the pipes that came with the engine BUT there weren't any coolant pipes connected to the fuel cooler and I can't see how it would be plumbed in. I only have two spare connections at the bottom of the radiator and the two connections on the fuel cooler - I'm not convinced it's as simple as connecting them together as I can't see how it would get any coolant flow like that. The radiator was bought separately from the engine so it's also possible that the connections aren't both used.

Has anyone got a copy of a coolant flow diagram for this "square fuel cooler" version ? (Rave has 2 diagrams which show the old cylindrical fuel cooler which is, unfortunately, no help at all).

If anyone has a 2005 on TD5 Defender, could you have a look and try and see where the two pipes go to ?

The fuel cooler is located roughly halfway along the engine, mounted to the inlet manifold on the RHS. There are two fuel pipes going backwards and two coolant pipes coming out towards the front. The top of the two coolant pipes has a small joiner section with a bleed valve in the top. I need to know where the two coolant pipes go to and, if they both go to the bottom RHS of the radiator (as I'm currently guessing) which one goes to the front of the radiator and which to the back.

Pictures would be great but there's not a lot of room to get in there given the amount of "junk" that surrounds a TD5 !

I'm using a ZF HP24 that I bought from Ashcrofts, The Compushift was one I picked up cheap as it was ordered for someone and then not needed. If I get the chance to have a play I may well try using a MegaShift to control the gearbox in the long term as that would be a good cheap alternative at under £100 so I can carry it as a spare (I'm intending doing some long distance expedition work so spares and redundancy are a major consideration). I'll get it running on the CompuShift first though.

As I am using the standard "old style" gearbox chassis mounts the HP24, being longer, is a better fit than the HP22 as it puts the transfer box in the same place as it was with the V8 while the engine is in the standard TD5 Defender position so all the plastic covers, pipes and airbox fit without any problems, the V8 propshafts fit and I've been able to use one gearbox mount as is. For the nearside mount I've modified a standard TD5 Manual Defender gearbox side mount and modified it to fit the V8 chassis mount.

@Western: Thanks for the post, unfortunately that shows the old style cylindrical fuel cooler setup, the same as the ones that are shown in Rave. I've even managed to get access to the online Land Rover manual now (the one that replaced Rave) and that also shows the two old style fuel cooler arrangements.

I can see me having to resort to going to the local main stealers and seeing if I can find a Defender of the right age and crawl all over it.

In case it's of any use to anyone in the future, I finally found a suitable Defender to crawl all over and it now makes more sense.

The top connector on the fuel cooler is connected to the bottom hose via a T piece inserted into the bottom hose. This is a separate plastic T piece rather than one moulded into the pipe, very similar to the way the header tank feed pipe is T'd into the water pump hose above the thermostat housing (probably the same part number, although the part doesn't appear to be listed anywhere).

The lower connector connects to the front of the two apparent outputs at the bottom of the radiator. The "output" pipe at the rear of the radiator isn't used and would appear to be a "dummy" pipe as nothing is connected to it on the one I looked at. I'm going to check on mine and make sure it's also a dummy pipe otherwise I'll have to blank it off.

As the bottom hose is the feed hose from the radiator and is bypassed when the engine is cold, that means there is no flow through the fuel cooler until the engine warms up which kind of makes sense and that also explains the bleed screw on the top connector/hose of the fuel cooler.

As I've removed the EGR cooler from the front of the engine I was going to feed the oil cooler return through the fuel cooler but I'll now connect it to the pipes at the bottom of the header tank where the return from the EGR cooler would have originally gone to the 4 way connector.