Rear mounting rad

I am looking at rear mounting the radiator on my 300TDI 90 truck cab and can not find much helpful information on Google, the truck is only used for challenge events so am concerned on reliability, performance and cost in that order.

What is the best solution????????????

What about the oil cooler and intercooler??????

What do you do with the small pipe on the rad?????

Can you use the existing rad????

Any success stories or pictures would be appreciated

Edited by western
font size increased to make post readable

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at rear mounting the radiator on my 300TDI 90 truck cab and can not find much helpful information on Google, the truck is only used for challenge events so am concerned on reliability, performance and cost in that order.

What is the best solution?

define 'best'?

What about the oil cooler and intercooler?

Can you use the existing rad?

On my mate's truck, we used the original rad, including the oil cooler. He doesn't run an intercooler at all, the turbo is plumbed in direct to the inlet manifold. We figured that the intercooler doesn't do much when you're travelling at 10mph or so, especially when it's full of mud.

What do you do with the small pipe on the rad?????

The bleed pipe? it's still there, and still connected to the reservoir, which is also in the back, and higher than the radiator, to make bleeding the system easy.

You'll also need to do something with the heater connection at the back of the head, blocking it off can apparently cause hot spots in the head due to lack of flow, so we just looped it back in to the other hose, not ideal, but it works fine.

We used 38mm exhaust pipe. It's ok, but not ideal due to the rust issues with coolant. Using aluminium tube would probably be reasonably expensive.

For the plumbing, you can get the same 'push fit' pipe & connectors you would use for domestic plumbing in big sizes. It's certainly up to the pressure and temperature requirements, is flexible enough to follow the chassis, has no corrosion issues and is not badly priced. Somewhere like a Plumb-Centre will stock / obtain it for you.

Because of the longer length of the pipe, if you can, go for a slightly bigger bore to maintain the flow. Run the little bleed pipe from the top of the rad as normal. Make sure the reservoir / filler is higher than the top of the rad and run the pipe from the filler back to the engine. Put in a few extra bleed points in the pipe / engine bay as you often get hard to clear air-locks in places.

Leave the intercooler and oil cooler in the engine bay. I've seen both set in to the bonnet successfully, using a small motorcycle fan to suck cold air in to the engine compartment through the coolers. On the bonnet they are fairly well protected from mud etc.

Si