8274 power cable

landy87

Warn supply them with AWG 2 which is about 33.6mm^2

But this is what gets me, they state the motor can draw up to 450Amps

35mm^2 is generally only rated to around 240Amps constant current.

OK so you won't be using maximum current all the time and the under spec'd wire will be OK for a short period of time before it gets too hot and melts the insulation and then the wire.

But how long it is OK for is too difficult to calculate (too many variables)

All I can say is 70mm^2 does get warm under heavy winching.

So to repeat LandyManLuke, depends on what you use it for, most people in winch challenges go for 70mm^2

Personally i dont see the point of using anything more that 50mm² as the cross sectional area of an M8 bolt as used on the motor and solenoid terminals works out to be 50mm².

I did the maths on voltage drop between 35mm2, 50mm2 and 70mm2 some time ago. As the voltage is approx 14V, the current drawn by the bow2's can be quite high, cant remember what we measured at but its considerable when on load, then the volts drop of the cable could be a factor. I seem to have lost the scrap of paper I had it worked out on, but as some 70mm2 came up on the forum then I went for that. I will echo what Luke has said, 70mm2 is massive and doesnt like to bent so routing can be an issue in tight spaces.

Rich.

Here is a pdf of my old Trayback in Total off Road

th_les7.jpg

Click for a full page, although I seem to remember the text cocked up between series and parrallel somewhere in the whole article but not in the cable sizing IIRC (Yellow Box)

click on thumbnail then zoom in ;)

70mm if you can get it is best but smaller it will still work but not necc at its optimum !

Rich the 70mm^2 I use is more flexible than the standard 35mm^2 shipped with warn winches

A major factor is also the price, I find Furneaux Riddall is a good supplier

35mm^2 at the time of writing was £9.30 inc vat a meter (for less than 10 meters)

70mm^2 was £18.34 inc vat a meter (for less than 10 meters)

The good discounts for larger amounts

Their supplier is Batt Cables , I've not tried buying direct but they do have a few branches all over the country