Heater leaking? Help please, on holiday & about to panic

James NZ

Hi everyone,

Merry Christmas to you all.

Just been up the hill (600metres) fossicking around old mines and on my descent noticed warm water trickling down on top off the carpet, roughly in line with the end of the centre console where it goes under the dash. Would this be roughly where the heater is?

Please note it was warm here today (about 25c) and the air con was getting a work out and was in use going up the hill which is a slow twisty climb. Just checked the radiator and the water level has dropped, bugger!

We are on chrissy holidays and my car is getting quite a lot of use on tracks etc so I need to sort this. In fact I will probably just bypass the heater for the rest of the trip.

Is it a major to get the heater matrix out. Sorry for all the questions, I'm using the mother in laws computer so don't have access to my rave files and other info etc.

My car is a D1, V8.

Here is a wee picture from yesterdays trip to the river.post-26315-0-10179300-1325054930_thumb.jpg

Forgot to add that the water is dribbling on both sides of the transmission tunnel but more so on the right.

Cheers, james NZ

Edited by James NZ

If it is the heater.and with a bit of a contortion you may be able to see/feel the pipes as they come into the cabin to the left of the clutch pedal (as you look at it) - - it is a sod of a job. I did it about 12 months ago and when they build a D1, you have a metal body, then they install the heater, then everything else :(

It is a total dash out job. As a first timer, took me over a day and a half.

Cheers

Peter

Hi guys

thanks (I think ;-) ) for the confirmation Peter. I rather dreaded that may be the case. As my car is a daily driver this is going to take a bit of planning. pete3000, yer had already decided that may be the best fix for now.

Just watched the news and the weather man has said that the Nelson (South Island, New Zealand) is in for heavy rain for the next few days, guess where we are heading tomorrow :blink:

Cheers, james NZ

I'd go for the heater bypass. Some of the 95 Disco's have a valve that both flow and return pipes go into just before the bulkhead - see pic attached. This is supposed to cut off the heater whilst the engine is warming up. If you've got one you can tape/tie it closed. Job done.

post-18828-0-36288100-1325071829_thumb.jpg