Rear Disc Brakes.............the build...............

Gremlin

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the calliper brackets are made from? I'd imgine they are not cast iron, they do have a cast appearance as if maybe cast steel, or perhaps drop forged steel? I'm just wondering whether an S275 steel flamecut plate would have the strength of the OEM brackets. some time ago I measured a disco axle tube end, disk braked, for a friend who was thinking about converting his 110...this appeared to be quite a weedy steel (?) bracket welded to the axle tube, there obviosuly being no option on rear drum braked discos there wasn't any need for a bolt-on adaptor bracket.

I've still got that drawing which relates calliper bolt hole positions to axle centreline, do we think an S275/En43a steel flamcut would be strong enough?

Hmmmm good question, i have no idea, but they look like forged and not cast.

My fronts are flame cut from normal steel, 3 years on and they are still fine.

I am at standstill at the moment, rebuilding a series 2 box for a freind.

G

Been having a look at a disco rear calliper I had in the garage, and measuring up some 11" backplates I got as spares for my 109 some time ago.... Some guesswork involved, but I've beefed up the area outside of the calliper mount bosses. If you look at one of Grem's photos you can see that there is nothing to interfere with the outer side, whereas the inner is cut away to clear the calliper.

Whether or not I go for it will depend on a quote for cutting it, bearing in mind I'll have to drill and tap the holes after cutting, whereas the purchased part will already have it done.

disks002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm doing a rear disc brake conversion too....... I have a added problem though. I'm running a toyota 5 speed gearbox and therefore have no drum brake on the rear of the gearbox that can lock up the prop shaft. So I've got a set of rear calipers from a Audi a4 (B7) 2.0 Turbo that have a integral handbrake (emergency) brake mechanism. The installation looks rather straight forward and only requires a bracket and spacer to be laser cut. Do you think 8mm mild steel is thick enough fo the mount bracket. The discs I'll use are sold as part of a kit made for the series landy front( here in SA) and are 12,5" diameter but unfortunately solid and not vented. The front kit uses Golf/Jetta 3 front calipers and the piston diameter ratio from front to rear looks good. (for brake force distribution) I'm also using a early defender master cylinder (dual outlet) on a Vacuum boost brake assist.

I hope to do my axle swap relatively soon (given that I prepared the axles 2-3 years ago, that is very relatively). Part of the swap is thebrake master cylinder, as disc callipers don't work well with Series masters. Has anyone tried fitting a TD5 Defender or Tdi Discovery servo to a SIII pedal box? I don't know how different the stud pattern or actuator rod lengths are... I don't want to use the Defender pedal box as the foot well angles are different and the pedal height will be wrong.

I have seen it on the web somewhere, a series pedal box mated to a disco servo and master. I think its doable.

I have a defender setup.

G

I remember seeing it too - I seem to recall a square steel plate being used as an adaptor. I thought it might have been you who did it, actually... How do you get on with the Defender pedal? is it a little high, or did you cut a little off the leg and weld the foot back on at a lower height?

Yes thats the one, square plate adaptor, but sorry, No not me, it could be FF who might have done it on here. I run a defender bulkhead so no mods done to the pedal or brake master.

But yes if i was in your situation i would modify the pedal, or mate the defender servo to the series pedal system, maybe try to mix and match bits from both assemblies. Remember that most landrovers where built like that, raiding the parts bins of what was left over from other models and makes..........

I need to crack on with my conversion.......... not done anything in over 2 months now!

G

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update

Got most of the bits painted, a nice shiney diff gaurd came in the post....... brilliant bit of kit. I was going to make one my self in a similar design. But after assessing costs of getting it all cut and bent it would have worked out nearly the same. So i bit the bullet and bought one. It will be painted in a matt black finish.

Main diff casing is waiting for the final coat of paint after i weld mounts for an extra pair of bump stops.

Pics

PIC00029.jpg

PIC00028.jpg

PIC00031.jpg

Tharts all for now, next update hopefully will re assembly and fitting.

G