Rear Disc Brakes.............the build...............

Gremlin

Thanks for the replies.

Not that bad, its not that tight or snug fit like it normally is, with some bearing fit it should be good, i doubt it would make the seal leak.

I will take some pics and post up, as it cannot be really seem on the pictures i have posted.

As to the other stubs, yes i can get some speedi sleeves on them (not cheap, but cheaper then new stubs), and they will work out just fine, just need to know what size to buy.

G

Ps, snagger are you a pilot?? often here??

I had one stub axle (front end) which had worn on the top side of the inner bearing seat, probably about .1mm, and had a patina on the underside of the outer bearing, but no discernible material loss. The seal land was perfect, but despite a couple of Gen Parts hub overhaul kits (new brgs and seals), I couldn't stop a slow weep which contaminated the brakes. I put that wear pattern down to having offset wheels, which is why I don't recommend them or wheel spacers.

Speedi-sleeves was what I was thinking of, but I couldn't remember the name.

And yes, I come to Luqa quite often (like tomorrow morning, and had been rostered for Wednesday too) - I drive 73s for the Irish mafia out of Luton. Where do you live Grem? I'll have a look out for it...

Right pics done, they do look worse off in the pics.

So i have a side by side of the 2 types,

post-116-0-08080700-1340043748_thumb.jpg

then the bad 110 one

post-116-0-03734000-1340043868_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-67252000-1340043817_thumb.jpg

the polishing in process of the other series stub.

post-116-0-29377700-1340043783_thumb.jpg

Have a look and judge for yourself, funily enough the series stubs look better despite having lay in a field for some years.

I live in siggiewi, its to the to the right on approch from over Gozo as you fly past the valley before the runway, the church looks like a big thermos flask :)

If you have some time someday we could meet up if you manage to get away.

Right the next 2 are a close up of the polishing cleaning process

post-116-0-49640100-1340044068_thumb.jpg

This of the other series stub, stil awaiting cleaning

post-116-0-30612000-1340044183_thumb.jpg

This one is of the other 110 stub, not too good either!, but much better than the other.

post-116-0-63459600-1340044244_thumb.jpg

I am set on trying to save the series stubs, then i will see, if they leak then i will go with speedi sleeves.

The bearing seats look ok to me, but I'm not so sure about the seal lands. You might get away with using grease rather than oil on the seal, though.

I'm next rostered to Malta on the 7th July, so I'll try to take a closer look at Siggiewi then (but we tend to be a bit busy when were that low down ;)). I notice that there are a lot of firework displays on again. You guys go nuts for them! I'd love to meet up for a coffee, but we only spend 25 minutes on the apron before we head back out!

Hmmm i use grease anyway during assembly but the oil will migrate from the axle at some point, Anyway, i will keep the polishing up (when i find the time) as i belive they will hold, If they do leak then its speedi sleeve time.

Yes its fireworks season here, The whole summer is like that with every village having its feast. They are nice to watch but they are damn noisy, at least now they have lowered the bangs to an acceptable DB level.

Thats a very short time you have between flights.

G

• 3 weeks later...

Right Time for an update

I am done with my polishing efforts, pics below.

P7070164.jpg

P7070163.jpg

P7070165.jpg

P7070166.jpg

Not to bad for a pair of rusty stubs, i am going to run them and see the out come, i have set the seals to run further inboard on the hub, so they will run on a different part on the stub. I am confident that they will hold up.

G

It's hard to tell from a photo, but I suspect the mottling in the second photo is more discolouration than pitting, so it will probably seal well. Fingers crossed for you!

Been in and out of Luqa a fer times since I last posted. What is the large building with the internal courtyard in your town, just towards the centre from the football pitch? It looks official and pretty historic...

Hmmm good question, i really do not know but i can find out, as from the ground its a bit different.

Loads of historic buildings here in malta and our town has a lot of old large houses which have been owned by the nobile families in malta. Sadly many of them are either falling to ruins of falling into developers hands.

G

Update time.

Started assembly on one side.

Spacer

P7140169.jpg

Spacer and bracket

P7140170.jpg

Bolted down

P7140171.jpg

Hub and disc

P7140173.jpg

P7140174.jpg

P7140175.jpg

All done

P7140179.jpg

This week i will try and do the other side, and get ready to replace the axle with the old one.

But it so damn hot that doing any thing is taking me twice the time..............

G

Very nice! I need to get the Lightweight back together for Billing. After that, I hope to get the 110 axles witht he same rear conversion on to the 109. Still not quite sure how I'm going to mate the later brake servo and mc to the SIII pedal box, but I have a few ideas...

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Project 99% complete. Did the brake lines, all i have left is to secure them to the casing properly. Finally i can install the axle to the landy, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I should just take me a day to complete the swap (change spring bushes while i am at it), and be road tested. So my next post will be the final one with results and a summery of what has gone into the whole thing just to help readers from trawling all through this tread.

Pics

P7260181.jpg

P7260184.jpg

P7260183.jpg

G

I'm planning to fit my 110 Salisbury rear axle tomorrow and the Discovery front axle on Sunday. Monday and Tuesday will hopefully see the brake pedal and master cylinder completed... Like I said, that's the plan!

Got the rear axle on! Everything except the brake piping and transfer of the QT diff guard (it needed a quick blow over with silver Hammerite as it is begining to get surface rust, but the midgies seem attactracted by wet paint :wacko:, so it'll need another quick going over in the morning). And I even had time to go sailing for an hour this afternoon!

It's the balancing valve to reduce pressure to the rear callipers. On the Discovery and RRC, it was in the engine bay attached to the T-piece that split the rear brake line from the front left line, with the front right line run directly from the calliper (and the third mc port splitting to the front callipers only). The Defenders with rear discs have a smaller bias valve attached to the chassis under the bulkhead (there was no bias valve on rear drum equipped Defenders, I think). It's fitted at an angle - I thought for bleeding, but someone else told me it was inertially activated; the greater the deceleration, the more the valve differentiated the pressure. I can't see how that works on slippery surfaces, though - high pressures will still have lower retardation and you'd still need to reduce the rear calliper pressure to prevent the back locking up first.

Anyway, since my brake system is all Discovery, I have fitted the Discovery bias valve. It might be a bigger bias than needed - I suspect that shorter wheel bases need the higher biases, and the Disco has 9" less than the 109, but since my vehicle is usually unladen, reducing the weight on the rear tyres and subsequently their grip, it should work well. Discoverys have heavier rears with all the trim and the heavier body structure, and of course they often tow horse or boat trailers. The Max GVW of a Disco I is just 50kg less than for a standard 109, but given their higher speed and frequent heavy towing applications, I reckon the Discovery brakes will be ideal for a109.

Hmm ok, will see how mine goes, no valves just a direct line from the MC, just like a 110.

Thanks for the explanation

G

I think TD5 and TDCI 110s have a valve, and probably 300 Tdis too. I think it was only the 200 Tdi and earlier models that had a direct connection, and that was because they had rear drums. I'll have a look at some 110s when I n ext go out to make sure.

Everything except the master cylinder and servo is done on mine now. I tried the TD5 pedal box and servo, but the servo is to wide and fouls the steering box (I measured up before cutting the wing top, so the wing hasn't been lopped yet). The Discovery servo mated to the SIII pedal box (with an adapter plate and minor holing of the pedal box to accomodate the studs and nuts) also hit the steering box, or more specifically, the clamp securing the box to the base of the steering column. I was looking at all sorts of ways of stepping the pedal box up to move the servo away from the column, but then found I could just rotate the clamp through 180 degrees (witht he dowel removed from the column) and refit it with the pinch bolt underneath. It's not handy for removing the column as the brake pedal box would have to come out to get at the pinch bolt, but how often do you remove the column anyway? So, the Discovery parts now fit without any alteration of the pedal box or wing, other than bending the wing top's return edge out a bit so that it's at 45 degrees rather than vertical alongside the the servo.

I just spoke with a local chap who has a much modified Lightweight. It's on coils with Wolf axles, and he's got very good brakes using the SIII master cylinder and servo. It seems like the general view that you have to uprate the master cylinder may be illfounded - none of the disc brake conversion kit manufacturers recommend upgrading the master cylinder either. So, all my efforts may have been unnecessary...

I'm sure I've said it before, but friends hybrid with disco brakes all round still uses Series 3 master and servo, and that stops well.

I've been reading your thread on your blog Nick...does look very sweet...that lifting of the spring seats gave me an idea for if we ever build our thought-about off-roader...

The most satisfying thing was that until all this effort with the master cylinder and pedal box, everything fit onto the vehicle first-time, with not a single adjustment, fettling or even use of a mallet. The final clearance of the trackrod was always a worry and took a lot measuring when I made up the axles a couple of years ago, but it couldn't have come out better. I'm really pleased so far.