disco earth cables

swanny

Hi Swanny,

There is one directly from the battery on to the engine bay/chassis, then there is one on one of the the starter bolts to the chassis. These are the bigger bore cables.

What you also have is, on most, if not all the individual wiring harness's a earth wire comes out, and is bolted to the body, usually a M10 lug, there are some in the engine bay, and some behind the dash, and at the rear of the Disco.

had an earth fault on mine where the cable from the battery to the body and then the chassis..... the stud on the body had rusted off. the body was being earthed thru the engine and to the body via the handbrake cable.

was causing all kinds of wierd goings on.

most notably youd start the car up, put the headlamps on, take the handbrake off and the lights would go dull.

put the indicators on the radio would cut out and the speedo needle would drop out as the lights flashed on/off.

handbrake lever would get hot too.

• 1 month later...

i had a very similar problem !!!! my area infront of my workshop is on a slight slope, i had just chopped the floor out in the boot ready for a replacement , as i was welding it in i noticed that the car had rooled forward as im kneeling in the back of it, initially i thought a mate had come up and rocked it whilst i was in the boot, so got out and pulled the handbreak up harder . no probems.

then as i continued to weld it rolled forward again. bit worrying seeing as i was sat in the back doing the welding!!!

On investigation i found out that somewhare along the lines when i was welding it must have burnt through the earth from the chassis on the body and had started to use the handbrake cable as the earth path. due to the current and heat generated this began to strech and hence car rolled away!!!

So not only had i got to finish off the floor i also had to change the handbrake cable!!!

Car no half in and out of the workshop, went to move it nothing indicators flash when ignition was turned on no start, push indicators and heater fan would come on!!! person I'm not that keen on thing!!!

ended up moving it by putting a jump lead from the body on to the battery hey pesto everything back to normal.

so a fix that worked for me was to puyt a new earth cable from thebody direct to the battery , never did find the burnt chassis to body earth!!!

Always put the welder earth to the piece you are working on, and as close as is practicable -it gives for a better weld IMO, and you are are also less likely to damage electronic equipment like ECUs and alarms (and handbrake cables...).

Yep it did, Alternator, MFU, timer relays, ABS brain (did they put that in the D1 as an option...?), if it's a V8 or an EDC 300TDI there's an engine ECU :)

Good practice anyways, stops you melting handbrake and throttle cables ;)