Noise on rear axel 110 Td5

Right so I go out on a drive this morning and everything is going fine...........i get about 3 miles from home and then there is a small thump.......but what i am left with now is a rhythmic rumbling noise (bump bum bump bump.....crued i know!) which beats with the rotation of the wheels. It makes the noise when freewheeling so have discounted the frount end and gearbox

Any thoughts would be appreciated.....

Another boilersuit day to follow soon i guess!

Cheers

First thing I'd check, with the vehicle on level ground and the handbrake off, see if there is any play on the propshaft Universal joints. Grab hold and give a good shake side to side and up and down, at each end of the propshaft.

Kev

Had a similar prob with the axle on my 110, turned out to be pad chatter. Evidently the pads had worn a slight groove in the caliper, the noise was only evident after putting new pads in and cleaning the crud out of the caliper. Noise went away after pads half worn and crud had filled the groove in! Seee if you can wiggle the pads up and down.

Half shaft broken? it could have snapped and be rubbing the broken bits together? would explain the clunk.

I guess the easiest way to check would be to jack up each side and turn the wheel off the ground listening for the noise.

Jason.

If it was a shaft broken you'd not have any drive! You'd have to engage centre dig flock to get drive. Steve

Not always the case I have had them go before but as the fracture has not been 'clean' the truck has continued to have drive but the half shaft clunks as it starts to tear it's self apart.

Jason.