Can You Replace a 3-Speed Automatic With an LT85?

Davo

The leaky 3-speed auto in my '83 Rangie will have to go sooner or later and it will be replaced with a manual as they're a lot simpler to deal with when you live in the middle of nowhere. Less complication and so on.

I found a measurement somewhere for an LT85 with V8 bellhousing that is about the same as for the 3-speed Torqueflite. If that was the case, then if other bits, (like the gearstick!), actually fit it would be a good replacement. The transfer could stay where it is, which would be nice as I just spent a fortune on a rebuilt rear propshaft.

But I can't a reference to where someone has actually done this with a Rangie.

I know the R380 has been done but it sounds like it's longer, so of course that means modifying mounts, propshafts, and so on, which is too complicated for where I live. (For example, the rear driveshaft rebuild took about three weeks when you include shipping.) So something that would more-or-less slot in would be best.

Of course this means the LT95, which is fine with me, and I've got a few of them, but I really want a rebuilt box to try and save on some work for a change, and it's not like places like Ashcroft do these anymore.

Transfer case would need to be changed too, it's a wildly different ratio.

You'd need pedal box, clutch pedal + master cylinder, bellhousing, transmission tunnel and if you're precious, interior trim.

I suppose you could plumb the tranny oil cooler up to the manual box without too much hassle.

It would probably be easier and cheaper to find another Rangie TBH.

The LT85 is a big box, but no bigger than an LT95 I suppose, so tunnel clearance should be OK.

But the LT85 gearshift is all positioned for Defender/90/110 application, which I'm sure will cause you complications to make it line up with the RRC driving position!

I suggest a long bellhousing, short stick LT77 would be the easiest solution, as this was the standard factory fit for a 5-speed manual option.

Transfer box wise I believe the 3-spd auto used a ratio of around 1:1. LR used a 1.22:1 behind a 5-spd manual. I think the 3-spd auto had an LT230 fitted, so in theory it should fit, but would be horribly over geared, even on std 205R16 tyres.

Then as H_S has mentioned - there's interior trim to sort out...

• 2 weeks later...

I know a guy who rebuilds lt95's in the uk still, I wouldnt suggest getting your shipped there and back but if you keep an eye on our ebay they go for peanuts. I just bought a working one for £20 and the lt95 should be a straight swap. have it shipped to him within the uk for a rebuild then out to you. you also then have all the spares in your other boxes should the **** hit the fan int he middle of nowhere. btw I admire your running a rrc in such a location. you should fit a p76 v8 too :i-m_so_happy: