Greasable drop arm ball joint

jai_landrover

I put a grease nipple in the bottom of my drop arm years ago. The only problem was it got wiped out 3 days after fitment trialling. Doh! This time its getting protected!

19012012044.jpg

Plenty more cleaning up and making neat to be done. Need to clean the weld up and make th enipple sit loweer down and flush then find a rubber cap to keep the dust out.

If,

you've done yourself a favour and fit the disco drop arm to save mucking about, you can also sort you Vehicle out as did with mine lol, as in instead of 4 hours it takes men 2 minutes max ti sort out a damaged track rod end

Tis great however I already have HD arms and do not want to get new HD arms and then a reloaction kit for the disco type front HD arm. so far tis taken 1/2 hour and I suspect another half an hour it'll be done. I know a later disco arm is by far better but for me to change to that setup I will need to spend some money that I don't have for my 90. Money is going on my toys.

If,

you've done yourself a favour and fit the disco drop arm to save mucking about, you can also sort you Vehicle out as did with mine lol, as in instead of 4 hours it takes men 2 minutes max ti sort out a damaged track rod end

4 Hours to change a drop arm. REALLY??? or are you takin the Micheal?

20 mins max if the drop arm is stuck fast and I need to use my puller.

Jai, Nope I'm not joking, It took me that long to remove the drop arm to try to do the joint, in the end I cut it off with a very thin cutting disc and replaced it-It was easier and I did lose my temper with it so it had to go, hence why I looked around after this to see what else was available and I came up with the disco drop arm conversion,at that stage-about 8 maybe 9 years ago not many other people had done this to their trucks-well not that I could see, so when I did mine It was a novel Idea-to me anyway, but It really does work very well my steering now and always has been much more precise( well for a 90 that is) with the disco drop arm conversion done to it

John

Sounds a bit of a headache!

I've never had to cut one. One proved to be a PITA on an old 110 but parking next to a deep curb and with the puller on the drop arm a couple of wiggles with the steering wheel; (PAS of course engine running) the drop arm fired off with a bang. Never had any steering issues my 90 its has always been tight and when its worn you can feel it pretty much straight away. My 90 had to be in good nick. I used to trial alot aswell as marshall my fair share the steering was checked weekly by myself and scruteneers any sign of wear even slight I would put in my spare arm and swap them out.

Headache-yes it certainly was!! Not anymore though :i-m_so_happy: Now It does only take me about 20 minutes max(my bad spelling the other night-sorry) to do the TRE's if nessacary and It just makes life so much easier for me to do the maintenance on my 90 ,I'm the same as you-I need my 90's steering etc in good nick as we all do,and to do that I went this route, after having to do the ball joint a few times before I went to the solid drop arm, The majority of the parts I was using to do the work on the steering drop arm were not the best-B****art were never around then so I can't blame them this time

John