Lift up handle dood skins?

Hi,

A few weeks ago I was taken with a burst of enthusiasm and decided to repair a couple of spare doors I've had for a while, I welded in a repair section at the bottom but then realised that there was a lot of filler on the skin side so as the rest of the door was by now looking solid and the enthusiam was still going strong I thought I'd invest in a pair of NEW door skins, ordered a couple on line and ripped the old door skin off. red leaded the rest of the frame and waited for the new skins ........ seems like this could have been a bit of a mistake, the on-line supplier rang me and cancelled due to no stock, I then did a ring round and coudn't get them anywhere despite them still being on a lot of websites.

Does anyone know where I can get lift-up handle door skins at a reasonable price - or has anyone converted to push-button handles and locks ........ cause the skins for those still seem to be available.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi,

Thanks - MM haven't got stock at the price on their website, after a lot of searching around (to their credit) they could have supplied me possibly but at nearly 3 times the website price - I haven't had an answer from the other supplier and in a couple of other cases when I've then rung they havn't had stock so I think there is a bit of a tendency from some to ignore emails for out of stock items.

Cheers,

Dave

• 6 months later...

Hi

Did you manage to find a supplier - I am having the same problem!

If not, can anyone comment on how difficult it is to convert the door mechanism from lift up, to push button type as the skins are available, and I am told will fit the older style door frame.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

No I didn't, I've still got a repaired frame with no skin on it and another complete door that needs repairing but I bought a doner 90 for my project which very luckily had good door skins - strangely the bottom frame was rotten but hadn't affected the skin.....wierd.

I'd be fairy confident that the newer type skin would fit, and equally confident that it would take some fiddling about....if you can drop-on to some external handles etc at a reasonable price it sounds like a gooer - I thought about doing this but was'nt sure it would add up without a cheap supply of handles, locks (are they the same?) etc - also the inner door trim panel would need swapping or modding to take the push-down lock button ..... not really a problem with my door trims as they are past the best anyway but a bit more cost (quite a lot actually) if you want to do it 'proper'.

I did reskin the rear door, that was a bit of a pain in the A to do, the bottom skin has to slip under the upper section at the point where they join and also over the bottom of the window section at the same time.... not easy without bending bits you don't really want to bend but I got there in the end and sprayed it with Mr Halfords best Epsom Green from a shaker can - all good now.

Hope you get it sorted, it would be interesting to hear how you get on.

Cheers,

Dave

I believe the inner areas of the frame differ somewhat between the two door types.

Somewhere, thought it was on here, I'm sure I recall reading of a chap who reskinned a lift handle door with a flat sheet of ally. He formed it over a wooden pattern to create the handle aperture and the 'shoulder' radius. Rather a skilled job, but anything is possible to the right person :-)