300Tdi Injection Pump Ticking and power loss

I am having troubles with my 300Tdi injection pump. There is a clear ticking from the front end of the pump and it has lost power. The sound is carefully located to here so it is not the vacuum pump or similar other periperichal equipment.

The engine is not easy to start (we have -15 but still it do not respond as I know the 300 engine from previous LR´s). When it fires up it runs like on 3 cylinders. After a few seconds all four are in operation. I left the car idling for 10-15 minutes before driving. Then when driving I am having fine respons during low rpm or higher rpm without load on the engine and no smoke from the exhaust. As soon as I press the engine I loose power. It feels like the pump needs fuel, but now the motor develops black smoke. As soon as a loosen the throttle the power returns. I believe that is corolates to the tick sound of the pump.

Do anyone have any idea of what is going on?

If that´s right it´s an cheap fix (I already suspended the house hold budget the next months to find money for a new injection pump ^_^) I think that I will try to feed the injection pump directly from a dummy tank, allowing plenty of fuel for the pump, checking that this is the case.

I tried to loosen every of the injector nozzles (is this the right english word?) one at a time to rule out a defective nozzle.

it is going to be fuel starvation. Lift pump might be the problem but I suspect that there is a blockage as already said. Try blowing through each pipe and see if they are blocked.

Even if you get a lift pump, if you don't clear the blockage (if you have one) then that may ruin the new pump too...

Of course, with -15C, not unusual here, if a blockage is due to ice formation in your fuel lines just blowing them through won't shift much. You'll need to warm the system up or flush it with methyl alcohol, which itself has major fire and health problems. I'd opt for parking overnight in a heated garage.

Mike