TF558 Disco 1 Silencer Replacement

Landy_Dan

Hi Everyone, I hope someone can help me out with this one!

I have an Australian delivered '96 300TDi Discovery that I am trying to get a bit more go out of. I have installed an upgrade intercooler and tweaked the injector pump in the usual ways. Next step is to remove the centre silencer which I understand will free the engine up a bit. To do this I purchase a Terrafirma 4x4 item (TF558) which is meant to install "into the original exhaust system without any modification". The problem I have is that I can't see how to do this.

Under the car it appears that my exhaust is made up of two pieces, the first connected directly to the turbo with a flexible coupling (no cat), and the second containing the rest of the system including the centre silencer and rear muffler. The centre silencer is badged with a Land Rover sign and ESR 2206, I believe this is the original exhaust?

Does anyone know if the Terrafirma exhaust piece requires cutting of the existing pipe to install? If so, do I then need to weld the new piece in, or does it simply slide into the exisitng system? If not, where does the exhaust come apart? I can't see any joins!

Any help greatly appreciated!

P.S. I did try e-mailing All Makes 4x4 who own Terrafirma, but have had no response as yet.

I removed my centre muffler and replaced it with a straight section of exhaust pipe made up for me by the local exhaust guy with a slight off-set and swaged at both ends. The engine seems to spin easier due to the reduced exhaust restriction but its at least 4 kilos lighter.

The proper genune Discovery exhaust is one piece as you've indicated - though some aftermarket systems have the joins in different places.

I think the centre box replacement pipe that you've got is probably intended for a Defender, where the silencer is a separate part. So you would have to do some modifications to fit it. What those mods are depends on what ends the TF pipe has got on it, has it got the cones and bolt holes (similar to the original exhaust) or is it a flared/split end that will slide over the standard bore pipe? If it's the latter, then you will just need to cut the pipe to the right length, if it's the former, then you will need to get the right end welded on to suit the TF pipe.

Hi BogMonster, The pipe is sold as a Discovery 300TDi bit (See here: http://www.terrafirma4x4.com/products_php.php?cat=18&grp=93) which is why I am suprised that I would need to cut anything. "Without Modification" doesn't usually involve cutting!

I'm very cautious about just cutting into what I have as I don't own a welder, and the minister of finance is already upset without having to get professional assistance to fit it.

At one end there is a flare and clamp that attaches to the existing flange just after the flexible coupling, the other end has nothing, which makes me suspect it just slides in to the exisiting pipe. I tried measuring the outer diamater of both the exsiting exhaust and the terrafirma piece, and the are very similar, the terrafirma one is slightly slimer, however, this is only measuring the outside of the pipe, so not giving me enough confidence to just cut it and hope. I tried pushing the new pipe into the tail pipe as a test fit too, but the downward angle at the back means that I can't get it lined up without digging a hole under the back of the car - see previous statement about the minister of finance and you'll understand why this is a bad idea!

My '96 300tdi disco has 2 joins, don't recall if the centre box is a genuine one, the rear certianly isn't, the front join after the downpipe has the flare and clamp same as the defender, the rear one for the back box is a slip joint with a 'u' clamp. HTH

Steve