Spare wheel on bonnet

Right Im fed up with having spare in the back and I dont want it hanning off the back door,

So does anyone have a close up photo of a bonnet holder or drawings??

I will be making one for myself in work so just need sizes

Im not paying £300 for one. And I might even make two if someone else needs one (works paying not me :hysterical: )

Right Im fed up with having spare in the back and I dont want it hanning off the back door,

So does anyone have a close up photo of a bonnet holder or drawings??

I will be making one for myself in work so just need sizes

Im not paying £300 for one. And I might even make two if someone else needs one (works paying not me :hysterical: )

I don't blame you for not wanting it hanging off the back door, but have you tried lifting a bonnet with a spare wheel? Whilst I can do it, as someone with a bad back it is not something I would wish to do very often, which is why I have a swingaway wheel carrier fitted at the back.

I'll try and remember to post some pictures later. I use an MOD 109 bonnet mount IMO much better and easier to use then the Land Rover one with two bolts.

Well at 74 I can still put the spare onto the bonnet and take it off the bonnet by myself something I find impossible to do on the rear door.

There's a very simple trick to putting the spare on the bonnet. Series vehicles were designed to roll the spare onto the bonnet. You can use a similar principle with a Defender....

If you do decide to do this, please, please make sure you have a very-positive and stable mechanism to keep the bonnet-with-wheel securely and immovably raised.

A friend was knocked unconscious and spent several days in hospital after a gust of wind managed to bring the bonnet of his Ford Sierra down on top of him while he was working on the engine.

A bonnet-support-failure on a Defender-with-wheel-on-top could be fatal.

--Tanuki.

mmgemini's bonnet is the best sort (early Defender) before they went to the MOD style mounts-they keep the wheel lower giving a bit better visibility.

I don't think a Discovery wheel sits any lower LOL My wheel has the nave to the bonnet. That way I can store things in there.

As for keeping the bonnet up. Use the later Defender/ Wolf one.Easier to use as well. Also make sure the bonnet is strengthened under the mount.

I had my boost alloy mounted to my bonnet for a couple of years, and have the spare mounted to the bonnet on the S1, whilst they are heavy they are not impossible, the only reason I removed mine was because I added a trailer which allowed me to put the second spare in the back.

I mounted mine through the chequer plate using a MY> TD5 rear spare wheel carrier and the four spare wheel mounting rubbers, the only issue I had was the air disturbance it caused meant that I couldn't use my washers after 40mph as the water just went everywhere but not on the screen!!

Jason.