Track rod end confusion

sixtwoeight

Hi everyone,

My 1997 disco just failed its MOT on the dust covers for track rod end ball joint. The tester showed me and yes they were split and perished on both sides. He called it the drag link - but it was on the longer track rod bar behind the axle (i thought the drag link was in front of the axle).

• can someone verify which is which please.

Secondly, today I ordered 2 track rod ends, one LH thread and one RH thread, but am now wondering if:

• Are the trackrod ends the same for the drag link and the track rod bar? (i.e the two in front and the two behind the axle) They do look the same as far as i can see.

• Or are there different TREs for drag link and TREs for track rod bar?

I just want to make sure I've got everything I need before I start doing them as its my daily driver.

Thanks for any comments.

The Discovery 1 uses the same ends for the drag link and track rod but while I'd need to check a parts book to be 100% sure, IIRC there should be three of one and one of the other:

- Drag link (for steering box drop arm to axle) has two RH thread ends RTC5869

- Track rod (between the two front wheels) has one LH thread RTC5870 and one RH thread RTC5869

This is so that when you loosen the locknuts and adjust the track rod you adjust the tracking.

On a Defender, the steering box drop arm uses a different joint, used to be STC3295 but I forget what it was superceded to.

HTH