A new tool has found its way to my garage

Soren Frimodt

Have for a long time been searching for a valve regrinder and a seat cutter for various reasons.

First and foremost I like the idea of doing it myself, I'm a trained motorcycle mechanic, so it is a part of my education to be able to do these things, but since school I haven't even so much as looked at this delicate operation! And that can't be right now, can it? ;)

And second there is actually some economy in it as well. Payed about 130 quid for this good old sturdy British piece of machinery, and seat cutters can be bought for less than 300 quid new with a 10 warranty here in Denmark. So in the long run it will pay off. But of course the best thing is that you won't have to wait for a proffesional to do it!

I still lack the seat cutter, and am weighing the new versus used dilemma. If I buy used I can get better quality and a more universal set, but run the risk of buying some crooked/ worn out parts. New will work and have a warranty, but might be a bit "Chinese"

So here it is in all its glory, estimated from somewhere between '63 to '65 and with watercooling to boot. And the best part is that you can actually sharpen drills on the thing! ;)

post-9137-0-75535400-1329597950_thumb.jpg

Well the latter for now.. But now that you mention it, every fiber in my body wants me to have my own little business, fixing bikes, 4x4's etc etc. But starting, or even worse maintaining your own small company in Denmark has become very close to impossible, it's turning all American over here, if you don't go big you can't go at all! An example is the tax you pay for the waste-management, it is exactly the same amount for a self-employed guy at his little shop as it is for the owner of Lego!! So needless to say that price is quite high for the little guy, and but a spit for the big guy, genius..

Have for a long time been searching for a valve regrinder and a seat cutter for various reasons.

And second there is actually some economy in it as well. Payed about 130 quid for this good old sturdy British piece of machinery, and seat cutters can be bought for less than 300 quid new with a 10 warranty here in Denmark.post-9137-0-75535400-1329597950_thumb.jpg

I have a Wolf valve grinder, it was chucked by a local engine company in the early 80's[i think that's when it was] the replacement cost £1900! It just needed a bit of love and bushes on the valve spindle pulleys. Very usefull bit of kit, the stone I have on it is very fine and I often grind drills on it and can split point with the stone and of course you just chuck a valve in it and a few passes across the stone and the seat is lovely and flat. If you have any of the attachements I would love to see pics, I knocked up a rocker arm attachement but have never seen the proper things. One very annoying thing, I took the big brass plate off, it was about 10"x8" and chucked it in the landy, when I passed wolf the local wolf place I was going to show it to them as they denied ever making valve seat grinders! Anyway, I flogged the landy and nect tiome I was in the shed it hit me, the plate was till in the landy.

I have a vibrocentic seat grinder, I used it a lot 20 years ago, used it once last year. I used a pilot as a mandrel in the lathe to alter the OD of a bush yesterday, so I suppose it will always be useful. Last time I used it I wondered about flogging it and buying some Neway cutters, stones are hard to get hold of in the UK and I need to rebush all my stone holders.

Hi. Well no sadly I do not have any attachments for it, not even the clamp that holds the valvestem when you regrind the end of it. But this is fairly easy to knock up if needed be.

I also had to make a new wheel for the rubberband that drives the valve itself. Originally there would be a wide belt here but it had gone missing and had been replaced with a rubberband that didn't fit very well to the original wheel. So I quickly made a new one on the lathe and saved the old one in a safe place :)