Headlining glue not sticking

duncmc

Tonight I removed my headlining from my RRC, cleaned off the old stuff and got it ready for the new material from Woolies trim. I sprayed the headlining glue as per the instructions (this stuff http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1554-high-heat-resistant-aerosol-adhesive.aspx) and applied the new material.

But is is not sticking, the glue just is not sticky. Has anyone else had this problem?

Or what glue have other people used who have replaced their headlining material?

I will give Woolies a ring in the morning and see what they say.

I did my headlining using the same supplier and the same aerosol glue. I found that i needed twice as much as expected to make it stick but its been in place for 2 summers now and outside in the hottest days we had last summer with no problems.

The material is very absorbent and i think its a case of spraying enough onto the fabric so that that it exceeds the absorption of the material. This means in practice spraying lines of glue rather than trying to cover the whole area, otherwise you will need 10 cans!

I did my headlining using the same supplier and the same aerosol glue. I found that i needed twice as much as expected to make it stick but its been in place for 2 summers now and outside in the hottest days we had last summer with no problems.

The material is very absorbent and i think its a case of spraying enough onto the fabric so that that it exceeds the absorption of the material. This means in practice spraying lines of glue rather than trying to cover the whole area, otherwise you will need 10 cans!

Good to know that you used the same glue SteveRK and found you needed to use a lot of it. I recon I used about3/4 of the can and really think I'll have to get another can before having another go.

http://forums.lr4x4....=1

http://forums.lr4x4....=1

just in case you haven't read already..........

Thank you DrRob, but yes I have read that last week.

I used Dunlop S1922 spray contact adhesive available from Trade Grade Products 01202 822177

At least I can try this if I don't get anywhere with another coat of the same stuff.

I also found that the material is only just wide enough even at 54". And the foam backing won't then go all the way to the edge like the original stuff did.

I got through 2 cans and could have used at least one more for the job. My brother did his disco roof lining before me and used 2 cans and did suffer from detachment when the weather got hot.

I recommend getting some more cans and really lay it on until you can see it floating on the surface of the fabric.

I have bought 2 new spray cans of glue this morning from a different source. (Same type of stuff but effective upto 90 degrees C instead.) So, I can have another go later. The new cans have much better instructions on them, including recommending getting the items to be stood in a 20 degree environment for a couple of hours first. Well, they have had a couple of days inside now!

Sounds like a plan, I'm confident you will get a good result so long as you have enough adhesive sprayed on, its the sort of job you can only do once without having to rip it all out and start again from scratch so well worth taking extra trouble to get it right.