Tubular Bumper

s2hotdog

Hi

I'm in the process of fabricating a tubular bumper incorperating a H14 to my 90

Interested what size you have got on yours and why

48.3, 60, 76 or 89 or have you used box section 50 x 50, 60 x 60, 70 x 70, 80 x 80 or retangular 75 x 50, 80 x 60 or similar

Thanks all

Steve

Hi

I'm in the process of fabricating a tubular bumper incorperating a H14 to my 90

Interested what size you have got on yours and why

48.3, 60, 76 or 89 or have you used box section 50 x 50, 60 x 60, 70 x 70, 80 x 80 or retangular 75 x 50, 80 x 60 or similar

Thanks all

Steve

Used a 110 mm outside diameter tube. wall 5 mm thick

Steve, there is no answer to this!

It all depends on the design & your requirements. I suspect most bumpers are made from what you have lying around that feels about right.

Making the front sweep backwards and up reduces the amount of torsional load around the winch tray as trees and the like are brushed out the way rather than it having to take the full impact force.

This means you can get away with thinner, smaller tube.

Box section has a higher resistance to crushing in one plain than circular section.

A better approach might be to draw what you have in mind (even roughly) and ask what materials people think appropriate for that?

Si

Thanks for the replies chaps

I have no probs with any type of materials - we have tons of it ! and I could get any size - not seamless though we are structural/architectural fabricators not pipework engineers I'm not going to buy a 6 m lenght

I have made a good set of rock sliders from 60 x 60 SHS

Was thinking of 60 dia tubing but as you say box section is far stronger and if hot rolled stronger/higher grade material so may go with 60 x 60 not that it matters what it looks like other than well engineered

I like that about off roading - the car dose'nt have to be concours polished in my opinion as long as it dose what you want it to do

Simon good point about swept back sides defecting trees or much worse in my case will incorperate that idea

Will have to put something down on paper

Cheers

Steve

Any more imput?

Personally used something like 150x120x10 angle for the centre section, gusseted that to form a winch tray, then used some 3 inch pipe either side, triangulated that back to the outside of the chassis, hit a few trees and it seems to work, but then I have problems with trees jumping out. Thats on a Disco by the way, even just managed to back the winch back between the chassis rails for a decent approach angle.

Bill