DVLA Advice

I am planning a re-build of my 90, it has already been put on a galv chassis by the previous owner. I plan to replace the the knackered 19j with a V8 ( I can feel the sharp intake of breathe, yes I plan on cutting and welding my galv chassis! It's the only one I've got!) I will be changing the gearbox along with it but retaining the original axles and steering components.

Can anyone help me out with where I stand with the DVLA? I obviuosly would like to stay above board in terms of my logbook. I don't have a receipt for the chassis, or work carried out on it? I will have the relevant engine and gearbox numbers.

Any help would be appreciated, I've read:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014246

But I'm still wondering?

Changing the engine and gearbox you just notify DVLA via the log book of the new engine number, capacity and fuel type. I believe they may ask for a receipt for the engine, last time I did this (a few months ago) I just sent a copy of the receipt anyway and the log book came back with the amended details.

From my experiences, a reciept for the engine will survice. The first few I did it wasn't required, but the Series 2 change of logbook was sent back with a request for a reciept, or an independant garage inspection letter.

You need to bear in mind that the DVLA is peopled by so many monkeys who generally have little idea of cars and mods. To help make their lives easier when it comes to updating logbooks they appear to have a little tick sheet.... it goes something like this

1. Does the new engine have a legitimate number already on our system yes/no

2. Does the person asking to use this engine have a legitimate right to use it (they already own the vehicle it comes from or have presented an invoice for the purchase of said engine ) Yes/No

3. Does the cc of the new engine tarry with the details on the system Yes/No

4. Has the engine been fitted in a competent manner (Invoice from garage doing the conversion or other proof of competent workmanship) Yes/No

If yes to all the above amend V5C and return

If 1 or more No return to owner without amending, asking for additional information

I just made that up by the way. But if you can provide them with those details I reckon you will be OK. :D :D

It's a second hand engine, it has the relevant engine numbers. My neighbour runs a garage so an inspection with a headed letter to verify would work, right?

Thank you all again, always an endless supply of useful information

They like headed paper. Definitely get your neighbour to provide a letter confirming the standard of fittment on his headed paper (if he is happy to). Try and say where the engine came from, even if you don't have an invoice (bought from such and such a breakers, donated by a friend...,etc). Remember engines don't just appear unless there is a reason you don't want them to know about.

Trick is knowing what they are looking for (see my post above) and provide them with just enough information to allow them to process. No more but no less.