Ticking / rattling sound from transmission

I'm hearing a ticking / rattling sound from the transmission, especially at slow speeds and only when in gear. It increases upon acceleration but at higher speeds, it either disappears or gets drowned by other sounds. It is obviously more audible when the vehicle is being driven close to buildings. A few months ago I thought it was the UJ's on the front prop. I changed them but if I recall correctly, the rattle remained (there's still some slight play in the UJs - something to do with buying unorginal UJs which had probably mangled the yokes when fitted). Then winter came and I rarely wound the window down and I almost forgot about it. Now that warmer weather is here and the window is open most of the time, the noise has come back to haunt me. Can anyone give me an idea where I should start looking? I'm a bit concerned because I'm going for a short overland trip in 10 days and I don't want anything big to go boom.

Just in case it helps, gearbox in question is an r380.. modify_inline.gifReport to moderator ip.gif195.158.106.6

Yes it is speed related. It increases up to about, say, 20 miles an hour, then it's either drowned by other noises or it disappears. I have a hunch that it's the UJ's. there is some up and down movement of the spider within the cups.

I had something similar after doing an auto conversion and rebuild of the transfer.

Except for me it only happened on decel, and only after some minutes of driving (not when cold).

But as i changed many things at the same time, and beacuse its very hard to localise it when driving - i dont know if it the auto box or the tx box. I did pull the tx appart twice looking for the cause, double checked the diff and other preloads. Still does it, so will be interested in your findings.

That could be it then. Giving the ends of the props a hard shake should reveal any movement.

Mine had a clicking related to roadspeed and turned out the diff was on the way out.

You say the noise is related to road speed, how related? Does the tap seem to happen once per revolution of the wheel or more often? That's how I traced it to a physical fault with the diff, the tap was once every wheel rotation.