gearbox whine and odd vibration

since i bought my 90 the box has been a bit whiney but since towing a car trailer a few times the whine has gotten worse,:/

If its the gearbox thats ****ed what would be the better to go for? is the r380 useable with a 200?? (i would use a defender box) or will it just mate up to a 300?? also if i use a 380 box will the shaft off my lt77 fit??

Also got a harsh vibration when I let of the throttle too which is annoying me :(

head is a boggled with questions!!

Any help is really apreciated

Sam

hmm right ok..bollox to the spending big money idea.

If i get a defender 380 will it fit on the original mounts?? (LT77 box) and then ill just fit a 300tdi and move the motor mounts forward??

Also will my shafts fit stright on to the 380??

I think if you mount an r380 into lt77 position your gear levers will be 2" out of line.Difference in prop lengths 200/300.

If the r380 is std you would be modifying/swapping engine bell housings to make it fit?

I think you could end up moving your engine forward some 8" or so? Will it interfere with power steering?

If you have a r380 stick it on e bay and use the money to get a guaranteed good lt77 that will go straight in without the hassle.

Or change engine box and prop shafts,gearbox tunnel, seat box, rad, exhaust system.

Where in wales are you?

Hi Sam,

Easiest motor to replace your td with would be a defender 200 tdi, bolt in job with standard 200 tdi exhaust & plumbing, even wiring loom plugs into the bulkhead. Only modification is temperatures guage/ sender unit to get them reading right.

Discovery 200 tdi you need to use the flywheel housing off your td on the 200 tdi then it bolts to the gearbox and use td engine mounts, bolts in, the plumbing you have to make up yourself and you need a custom exhaust downpipe as it runs tight down the bulkhead.

300tdi defender or 300 tdi discovery again use the td flywheel housing on the 300 tdi and it bolts to your gearbox you would have to change the chassis engine mounts to a set of 300tdi ones, plumbing would have to be made up and the exhaust downpipe is easier but would need to be modified to mate to the system.

Gearbox if there is a problem with yours...

With a defender 200tdi a good known defender LT77 as suggested is a bolt in replacement (If you can find one),

With a discovery 200tdi discovery LT77 mounted in the same place as existing will push the engine forward 4 inches and the gearstick comes out of the front of the seat boxes (You loose the centre seat.).

With a 300 tdi a defender R380 or a discovery R380 will push the engine forward in the engine bay, using the LT77 gearbox mounts will bolt into the existing chassis mounts, but the gearstick arrangements are different, a defender R380 puts the gearsticks in the same place as yours but I believe you would need a different shaped tunnel section, a discovery R380 will put the gearstick out through the front of the seat box.

The 200tdi mods I have done myself, the 300 tdi are what I have learnt from others.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Anyway get my chav motor sorted and I will see you Saturday.

Cheers Guss.

Quick sideline question,

My project has an unknown lt77 in it, it has a lr recondition sticker on it but not sure what it will be like when I actually put propshafts on and get the car moving (engine is stripped down and rebuilt and starts no problem).

Just thinking of worst case scenarios: How difficult would it be to put a defender r380 onto my 200tdi engine if I got the short bellhousing? Could I get away with using the original gearbox mounts etc or would it be better to get the lt77 refurbed again?

Cheers, James