freelander knocking on full lock but maybe not ird ???

maxtherotti

Hi all

well the recent purchase for the wife is making noises !!!

its a 2001 hippo 1.8 manual

its done 117k but in good nick with mostly fsh and original owner untill nov

anyway when purchased did all the usual tests of reversing on full lock etc all ok all tho did feel like some drag present

had 2 new tyres fitted to the rear still all ok

done another 200 miles or so still ok

went into a different part of town the other day and had some very high yet short speed humps and front suspension made some funny noises

next day went out again only now when on full lock there is a clunking/knocking noise both forward and back and left and right no noise other than on full lock

start to panic thinking oh no ird gone!!!

so yesterday removed prop/vcu and tried noise is still there

BUT i think the car has been stood for a good while recently as all window rubbers are green and moss in roof rails etc sp im thinking could this noise be from the inner cv joints ??? could they have gone really dry and cause such a noise? any one else experianced this?

im thinking maybe the jolt from the speed humps pushed the bearing rollers further into the cups than they have been for a long time and maybe knocked some rust/carp out of them ?????

please tell me i havent got another pup!!!!!!!!

Rob

The CV joint runs in grease so shouldn't be any rust or carp in there, when they wear you get a knocking on full lock. I would suspect worn suspension rubbers especially as you get the noise when driving over speed humps, should be plenty of info if you do a search on here.

Look closely at the ARB.

It can easily move off centre causing the ARB droplinks to touch the inner wing on lock.

Look under the car when the wheels are in the straight ahead position and compare the position and angle of the droplinks.

I have had this problem and after resetting the ARB fitted a couple of jubilee clips to the bar either side of the bush saddle.

• 1 month later...

I have had this on both of our Freebie Sports and it was the centre bearings/rubber bushes half way down the prop either side of the viscous coupling. if it turns out to be these get genuine parts, i got some cheapies of ebay and they left a huge vibration issue and just needed doing again!!!!!