td5 filter fuel change, she won't start now

hello, help needed if possible, I have just changed the filters on a 2000 td5 defender. she ran for about 5 minutes, and now she won't go. have tried the automatic bleed system, no joy, tried switching ignition to position 2 5 times, also no luck. am up in sweden and searching for answers.. any advice or help happily taken.

thanks bobbob

Did you refill the fuel filter with diesel before you refitted the filter onto the housing and Is there a small rubber ring(Washer) so to speak normally sat on top of the filter where it screws to the filter housing other wise it'll be letting in air-look at your old filter and see if the old filter has one and your new one doesn't?

HTH

John

post-16623-0-31516100-1335863296_thumb.jpg

Check all above first but i have found a few that are reluctant to go even after all that, i've found if you let it do its priming cycle (5 pumps of the throttle pedal with ignition on) then crank with your foot to the floor it will eventually go

Thanks for the help,

she is back running sweetly, in the swedish sunshine..

I hadn't filled the filter before reffiting..

learning by doing, it is good to know there is good advice from back home.

bobbob

Run the automatic bleed system a few more times. Ignition on position 2, pump the throttle peddle 5 (I think) times to the floor. You should then hear the electric FP in the tank noisily pumping fuel and air about the system. You may need to repeat several times before it will start.

HTH

Chris

Perfectly normal: you have a case of "Trapped Wind".

As others have said, repeat the priming cycle until the swishing/gurgling noises from the fuel pump stop and you get a nice steady whine.

Then leave it for a few minutes and give it another prime before trying to start it.

--Tanuki

I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?