Starter motors 9 teeth vs 10 teeth

sotal

I've got a series 3 5MB engine, the starter motor had gone very weak.

After a bit of looking around a number of people told me to fit a 200tdi starter as they are a better motor using more modern technology - gear reduction to boost torque etc.

Sounded great and I sourced a known good 2nd hand disco starter which appears to be in very good condition.

But before fitting I thought I'd check it over and I noticed that it only had 9 teeth where a the series one had 10 teeth.

Am I stuck?

Can I swap the pinion gear over from the series one? or does it just not matter? or do some 200tdi have 10 tooth ones? How have others gone on?

I am certain you can use both starters even thou they have different teeth, don't ask me how, but just wait and see if a grown up confirms what I've said. But if you look at Paddocks, they are the same part number. Disclaimer: I may of been on some hallucinating drug at the time.

Brian

Thanks for that - I think that confirms it for me, just imagined it jumping but then thinking about it I remember working in a model shop and people used to buy different sized pinions for their remote control cars to alter the speed etc.

Does it fit the housing?

I checked the petrol starter position and I don't think it was correct

the correct place for a tdi starter on a 3mb flywheel.

I was sticking it in a new casting and found I had to move it out of mesh a bit

because the teeth[on the ring gear] are beveled the wrong way and it didn't engage cleanly every

time. I have one [tdi starter] running against a 3mb flywheel in my landy, but probably not in the

same place as a petrol starter. I saw this yesterday and was going to check a

petrol housing today.

For some reason I thought you meant a petrol engine, which it won't fit?

Butt I think all pre TD5 diesel starters should swap.

I use the Valeo D9R91[?] starter, but all the starters I

have tried fitted. The Valeo I use is listed for TD and TDI engines..

Yes it's a 200tdi starter motor going onto a 2.25 diesel. Looks like it will all fit was just worried by the different number of teeth but from the info above it all looks OK.

Was just going to change the brushes before fitting it, but finding 200tdi brushes is harder than I expected! (ok I only searched ebay but still) so may just fit it as is, the brushes still have a bit of life in them, but I guess I'd prefer to fit and forget rather than need to replace them after a while.