Snorkel for 90 2.5n/a

foprget the link it goes to their site - you need to look through the special offers till you see :

a picture that looks like this 0727.jpg

then go from there order on line and get 10% disc

Thanks - I have looked at that one, and phoned them to check (as so many don't seem to fit the n/a) and they claim it wouldn't fit my landy ('86 n/a diesel) not convinced the person knew what they were talking about though!

My landy is one with the vents on top of the wing and and air filter at the front right hand side wing (looking at the vehicle from the front)

Thanks - I have looked at that one, and phoned them to check (as so many don't seem to fit the n/a) and they claim it wouldn't fit my landy ('86 n/a diesel) not convinced the person knew what they were talking about though!

My landy is one with the vents on top of the wing and and air filter at the front right hand side wing (looking at the vehicle from the front)

Yes that pic is for a NA. All defenders have the vents on the top of the wongs, the one opposite the driver's side is the heater intake, the other is blanked off. NA's have no wing-side mounted vents, hence like int he pic you have to cut a hole in the top of the wing.

200tdi's have a side mounted vent on the passenger side, and this is where the snorkel would enter

300tdi's and Td5's have it on the drivers side.

So you either need to get a snorkel like the one in the pic, or get a 200tdi wing skin with the side vent and then get a 200tdi suited snorkel.

Fair enough! I'll order one in the morning. There doesn't feel like there's much room around the heater box for the piping to go through, so i'll have to wait and see the kit to see how the piping snakes round everything!

I was expecting one to look more like:

0117A.jpg

(thats the £200 mantec though! - there's aloads of room where that would go in + right next to the air filter)

Thanks for the advice,

Graham

Fair enough! I'll order one in the morning. There doesn't feel like there's much room around the heater box for the piping to go through, so i'll have to wait and see the kit to see how the piping snakes round everything!

I was expecting one to look more like:

0117A.jpg

(thats the £200 mantec though! - there's aloads of room where that would go in + right next to the air filter)

Thanks for the advice,

Graham

That snorkel could be used with an NA, or any other engine, it replaces the blanking intake vent, and then you would need to route a long air hose inside the engine bay to the filter intake. It would be a very long route, and there would be more joints to worry about sealing. You could also use it I suppose to raise the heater intake, but I suspect it would be a bugger to seal as the internal heater ducting was never designed to be sealable.

Make sure you get a good waterproof seal the whole length of the snorkel, it is vital to remove the filter canister and seal up the air-dump valve in the base. I cut a cork down to size and epoxy-glued it in place (some people swear by a WD40 cap). Make sure the seal between the two halves of the filter canister is in perfect nick, and also waterproof tape the seam. Some canisters get fatigue cracking around their bases which could let in water..... All the hose joints should be bonded/sealed (I HATE SILICON!), tightly clamped and also waterproof taped.

Don't forget to fit raised axle, engine, gearbox and transfer box breathers too....

And after all of that preparation... I would still maintain a respect for water, repeated dunkings in silty windscreen-high bogs is fun, but destroys all sorts of components....

Thanks for that advice - I ordered the mm4x4 one, not the mantec, so it'll be interesting to see what the kit comes with in regard to air hose.

I hadn't thought of sealing up the air filter, thanks! I'm heavily into keeping fish so i've got loads of various water tight sealers/glues around, i'll give some of them a go. Can the heater be damaged by water entering over the wing?

I have a hard learned respect for water already - this was caused by sending my lightweight to fast into to deep water without a snorkel. (2.25 petrol)

mudbowl2.jpg

5brokenpiston.jpg

It's not deep wading i'm after in particular, it's more extra protection from flying mud/water over the winter on offroad days, the normal air intake position seems very vunerable, and I have already found a tiny bit of mud in the bottom of the air filter, and that was from a dry day in mid summer being very careful!

No problem mate, I got my experience of water by doing a similar thing with a 2.5NA... luckily i got away with just a blown head gasket and a story that the family bring up every so often!

I don't think the heater would suffer too much, but obviously don't enter water with the blower motor running.

Yep, thanks for all the help - once the snorkel arrives - hopefully soon as the money has been taken from my account, so I assume it was dispatched on friday - I will get some pictures of the kit and once it's installed!

Should have my new wheels early next week as well, got the tyres yestarday - Kumho 235/85 Venture MT on 16x7s:) The vehicle is beginning to get more capable!

michael calvert> Try http://www.acronymfinder.com/ . handy website :)

Well I ordered the snorkel - and they sent me the one for the later models - the style that replaces the side vent, not the one pictured with the cut out exit.

Going to phone them tomorrow and get them to replace it!

Graham

It seems mm4x4 don't carry a snorkel for a 2.5na. The one pictured is a misprint and is actually the Safari Snorkel for a 2.5na. and wildly expensive.

I'm going to send it back and probably order one i've found that's produced by ServiceTune.